Kinda upset at the lack of response to GBe issues
Last night I finally received my switch (unmanaged, TEG-S81g by TRENDnet) and was able to do some testing.

... I got my two boards working GbE once I did the following things :

1) set the mac address to match the label on the bottom of the board;  the important part is the prefix, which for all three of my boards is  00:06:dc  (the local bit must be set off, or no worky)

2) disabled ipv4 by adding the following to  /etc/sysctl.conf
# uncomment to disable ipv6
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1
net.ipv6.conf.io.disable_ipv6=1

3) shutdown the  avahi-daemon    with  sudo systemctl stop avahi-daemon

I tested with ssh, scp, and iperf.  Something else very interesting is that when debian is the client and ubuntu is the server things improved A LOT, but when ubuntu is the client and debian is the server things slowed some.  Also, as the RTL8211E gets hot, it slows down; needs a heatsink.

I think we're at the point of acknowledig that the RTL8211E works, and now its a matter of timing (buffers, queues, irqs, Tx and RX delays).   jonsmirl points out that setting the Tx and Rx delays requires a scope, to get them to match; its just too twitchy to get trial and error.

Both Needles and Erol have made this work similarly. (continuing to test)

edit: PS   I discovered the difference;  the cat6 cable to one pine was short, the other long.  I will adjust this to both 'short cat6' 1M  and post results tomorrow.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kinda upset at the lack of response to GBe issues - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 08-20-2016, 06:52 PM