Mame not launching on Debian
hi guys,

I had a long and very interesting talk this afternoon with longsleep on the irc chat. 

... as far as he is concerned, there is no work being done on 'this' and the video 'thing' on gnu+linux is at a stand-still. That is the truth... and its been a long time coming. Even though drm can be integrated in the kernel (and mine is) the default image does not have it integrated (nor will it) and the integrated kernel is experimental only. (the truth)

Now then, you have to understand where longsleep is coming from.  His take is that if you want video you use android, not linux. And, his take is that gnu+linux is for headless server use and virtualization only.  (he and I disagree about this most vehemently)  But, that's why he got into rolling the kernel in the first place... the only reason we have hdmi in the longsleep kernel (these are HIS words) is "because it was so easy".   Not because he thinks it should be there!
(again, the truth)

Now then, somebody (mainlining kernel people, and maybe lennyraposo) may  in fact be working on 'this'. But, at this point in time, its at a stand-still because redistributing the video stuff (which is not open source, and which is under NDA(s) ) violates the GPL.  longsleep isn't going to do it... period. lennyraposo is going to have a hard time doing it.  So, we are (as it were) between a very hard rock and a very tight space.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm just passing on what I know, as truthfully as I can remember it. If it looks like nothing is happening here with linux and video, well, that's because nothing is happening here with linux and video.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Messages In This Thread
Mame not launching on Debian - by bobbyj - 08-23-2016, 08:21 PM
RE: Mame not launching on Debian - by Ghelorn - 08-23-2016, 09:04 PM
RE: Mame not launching on Debian - by pfeerick - 08-23-2016, 09:15 PM
RE: Mame not launching on Debian - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 08-23-2016, 10:23 PM
RE: Mame not launching on Debian - by Ghelorn - 08-24-2016, 08:01 AM
RE: Mame not launching on Debian - by bobbyj - 08-24-2016, 09:15 AM
RE: Mame not launching on Debian - by Ghelorn - 08-24-2016, 03:45 PM
RE: Mame not launching on Debian - by bobbyj - 08-25-2016, 07:05 AM
RE: Mame not launching on Debian - by Ghelorn - 08-25-2016, 07:12 AM
RE: Mame not launching on Debian - by bobbyj - 08-25-2016, 07:23 PM
RE: Mame not launching on Debian - by Ghelorn - 08-26-2016, 05:14 AM