Ada Fruit GPS Ultimate Breakout Board for PineA64
I saw this thread, and thought I'd try the same.  For reference, in case anyone else wants to try this, I am running the Linux 3.10.102-2-pine64-longsleep #66 kernel here.

Indeed everything works right away with an unmodified Adafruit Ultimate GPS HAT plugged into the PI-2-BUS connector.

I get all the GPxxx strings coming in on /dev/ttyS2, the serial port on the PI-2-BUS pins 8 and 10.

Now, I've found that the gpsd daemon makes it easier to deal with the output from the gps receiver, since it collates all the bits and pieces of information in the various GPxxx messages into one common data area, from which we can read the time and where we are and where we are going, all in one go.

So I installed gpsd,  its clients and client development packages:

apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients libgps21 libgps-dev

and had it almost going.

Since the gpsd daemon has to be told to read from /dev/ttyS2, there is a setting in a file /etc/default/gpsd for this,

DEVICES="/dev/ttyS2"

and now client programs like cgps and others work as expected.

The Adafruit Ultimate GPS HAT has a 1 pulse-per-second signal connected to PI-2-BUS pin 7, which is PL10 or GPIO362, which might be used by the kernel if it supports 1pps for timekeeping with NTP.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ada Fruit GPS Ultimate Breakout Board for PineA64 - by KnReLe - 08-22-2016, 12:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Sample GPIO codes highlighting RPi.GPIO-PineA64 and the PI bus MarkHaysHarris777 6 12,041 06-07-2019, 12:37 AM
Last Post: tllim