Kinda upset at the lack of response to GBe issues
(08-15-2016, 03:35 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 02:20 PM)amc2012 Wrote: Not sure what you mean by GbE being "too new." Having been around for the better part of two decades, and having been RAPIDLY deployed even when it first emerged, GbE is actually one of the more mature ethernet technologies out there. Check out the Ethernet Alliance Roadmap. I work in IT, and we've been relying on GbE for a long long time now. I think it's probably safe to say that the Cisco and Netgear routers I use at home have "figured it out."  I have *never* run into any kind of issue like this in my home or work environment. 

I have never run a GbE network at home;  most people have not.  My entire network is 10/100 as are most people's home networks; why--?  Because once a network is setup (mine years and years ago) why setup another one.  All of my devices are 100 now. None of my devices are GbE. 

it takes a full twenty-five years to fully adopt a new technology to the 'common place' status. GbE is not there yet. And, as you can see not only by the varying opinions on the subject but also by the varying status reports, GbE is not the standard some of you have been hoping it would be. 

This issue seems to be a 'tolerance' timing environment specific problem that can be resolved with the right hardware and configuration. There have been some recent developments in that direction.  I hope your situation may be corrected also. Obviously packets are going to be lost and through-put is going to be low if auto negotiation occurs every couple of seconds. 

Best of luck to you.

Mark, as a network professional i can't let this go; in the past years we've actually gone to 5Gb over copper (5GBASE-T) ... so the 1GbE over copper standard is perfectly described and implemented on all my swicthes for the past 10 years at least.
If it took 25 years to get to commonplace status, we'd probably be using thick coax in our datacenters instead of fibre, so i call BS

Please stop the BS on the GbE issue, This is not an issue where the standard is to blame , this is something the PINE64+ is to blame for.
"GbE is not the standard some of you have been hoping it would be." => thats odd, it seems to be a perfect standard ; except for the PINE :S

Also remember that I have one Pine that does good GbE and one that has the issue; so you can't just put blame on the environment. (same sd card, power supply, eth cable, switch)

All fine and dandy that someone has swapped switch and it works for him now; but I'm not planning on swapping out a perfectly good Cisco Catalyst that performs PERFECT for ALL other devices.

Once again , this needs to be resolved, if necessary the boards need to be swapped.
Hoping to see some official response to this ....

(06-10-2016, 11:12 AM)longsleep Wrote: I received the board from @androsch, plugged it in, tested - works fine.

iperf2 pine64 is server
Code:
root@pine64:~# iperf -s
------------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
[  4] local 192.168.1.29 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.232 port 40359
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec   320 MBytes   267 Mbits/sec

iperf2 pine64 is client
Code:
root@pine64:~# iperf -c 192.168.1.232
Client connecting to 192.168.1.232, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 22.5 KByte (default)
[  3] local 192.168.1.29 port 39981 connected with 192.168.1.232 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   813 MBytes   682 Mbits/sec

So no problem of the board itself and this is probably true for all the other non working 1000M reports here. The reason is something else / external to the Pine64. The switch, the cable, the psu, and a combination of those together with the Pine64. So its up to you folks which have the issue to find out what triggers it (start by replacing the switch).

Just as an FYI; IPERF is NOT a good test ; 
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...7#pid17197

There are a bunch of files attached to this post, check how iperf says that it got perfect speeds while a wget is failing miserably ....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kinda upset at the lack of response to GBe issues - by waldo - 08-16-2016, 06:17 AM