Current status of PPP usability/functionality
A year to 2 years ago, I was heavily involved in trying to get PPP usable through software tests and mods.  I provided about 150 comments to the forum in this effort.  I tried so many SD card, SIM card changes during this testing that I physically broke the SIM card holder in the PPP phone making it not functional as a cell phone.  I never received the free replacement SIM card holder that was promised by Pinephone even after providing all of their required data.  For more than a year, my PPP (and the earlier PP) has been shelved and I have dropped out of PPP efforts.

I am still a believer in linux phone technology, particularly for privacy reasons, after I see reports of the newest gimmicks by the major phone manufacturers. I am also a 20 year exclusively linux user on my PCs. 

I am trying to get an assessment of where PPP stands as to functionality currently to be a "daily driver" cell phone.  I am retired, i.e., heavyweight business needs are over; my needs are moderate. I would put money into repairing my PPP if things currently look better. 

Here is what I would need in order to justify an investment into getting my PPP repaired.
     At least 12 hour battery life w/o charger
     Functional recharging capability
     Reliable/repeatable boots
     Good capability to send and receive phone calls where one could hear and be heard by a connecting party
     Ability to reliably send SMS messages over cell network.  I use Consumer Cellular which did allow calls on PPP with it's SIM card on some OS              a while ago.
     Ability to send MMS messages (attachments)
     Some auxiliary app functions, i.e., navigation, cameras would be nice if progress has been made on that.

Would appreciate any info on your success in meeting these needs. Include OS and desktop name and versions.  Also any mods made to the phone to achieve.

thanks all.    tom kosvic

Messages In This Thread
Current status of PPP usability/functionality - by tckosvic - 05-25-2024, 08:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current State of PIne Phone Pro kmsgli 40 27,579 12-23-2022, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Simon Belmont