Equipment to deal with possible bricking
(01-31-2022, 02:17 PM)Ulfnic Wrote: "As far as a charger goes, since the battery has internals to regulate itself it might be easy to make a simple charger. I will be going with this item just for the convenience: https://www.amazon.com/Onite-Universal-B...B01JZLHTHG
Hopefully it works."

Just a word of caution... if you're buying an external charger make sure to test the battery voltage as it charges. I bought a generic one some time ago and it charged my Pinephone battery way over 4.2v (I can't remember the exact number). I don't think there's "internals to regulate" as the battery allowed this to happen (which is normal for cellphone batteries). It also has 4 pads which expose the poles of each cell for balancing which tends to mean a battery doesn't have it's own controller.

Thanks for the corrections. And you are correct, the original battery does not appear to have any extra circuitry. It is also possible that the extra circuitry advertised by some batteries is bogus data.

Inside a battery though you don't need more than the the typical outputs to still have internal circuitry that can regulate the battery. With power provided a batteries controls can still measure voltage, current flow, and heat. With that data it can choose to switch off or throttle charging and/or output if the temperatures or voltage exceeds desired levels. There are batteries that do this. Sadly there are also batteries that are advertised as doing this that do not live up to the hype.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Equipment to deal with possible bricking - by Otter - 01-31-2022, 10:46 PM