Sim cards and carriers, discussion
I've just got a SIM card from Ting and it is working good. Phone calls and texts (incoming and outgoing) are working great.

I originally tried a pre-paid SIM from Verizon and it said it was not supported when trying to use their website. I tried activating it in another phone and Verizon cancelled my order and said I needed to call them. Didn't bother and just ordered the $1 SIM from Ting instead.
I was just gifted a Pinephone from a distant friend and got a Red Pocket plan to activate it with. The phone has Manjaro running KDE Plasma. With the SIM card in it shows "Red Pocket" in the upper left of the screen. I then see a series of 'Modem shows no carrier' errors with the settings menu. Looking in Angelfish (and playing with the interface to clear the initial blank tab and see content) I get a page from T-Mobile that says my data plan does not work on this device.

When I choose 'mobile data' from the settings screen (and after doing another weird home screen > open apps dance to get the icon to go away and show the next menu screen), I am at the "Cellular Networks" screen. When I click on "Access Points" I get an empty page (apart from the header and footer frame). This time no interface dance reveals anything else in the menu.

Is this where I should be able to view and change the APN? Do the other interface bugs indicate there is something wrong with the Manjaro install or some hardware on this device?
Just for curiosity,  perhaps  try running from a fresh sd card ?

On my Manjaro phone, I had no problem finding and adding the APN information,
( I am running a recent release of Manjaro/Phosh on an sd card in this particular phone)

Though I am running Manjaro/Phosh from an sd card,  I would imagine it should operate close to the same with the KDE/Plasma.?
(Maybe if yours a factory install, it may need to be updated ?)

For personal reasons I do not like Tmobile,
  However, in all fairness,  I have found them to work fairly well and easily when I tested them in my Pine phones.

But I have not tried any Plasma desktops.

GOOD LUCK
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I tried to flash Arch ARM to the phone before even trying the TMobile SIM. When I put in the SD card, the Pinephone booted as normal. Now when I put the SD card back in my laptop, it won't recognize it at all. Is this what would happen if I dd'ed the compressed image to the card, or did the card just happen to give up the ghost after I copied the ISO to it? If the former, is there a way to get it recognized so I can recover it?
(08-25-2021, 08:28 PM)tallfrye Wrote: I tried to flash Arch ARM to the phone before even trying the TMobile SIM. When I put in the SD card, the Pinephone booted as normal. Now when I put the SD card back in my laptop, it won't recognize it at all. Is this what would happen if I dd'ed the compressed image to the card, or did the card just happen to give up the ghost after I copied the ISO to it? If the former, is there a way to get it recognized so I can recover it?

I learned about this SD Memory Card Formatter on the Armbian website, where it's recommended before installing Armbian on an SD card.

You could try it:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

I had to run it on Windows, because I couldn't get it to run under WINE (but I didn't try very hard either).
(08-26-2021, 12:06 AM)calinb Wrote: I learned about this SD Memory Card Formatter on the Armbian website, where it's recommended before installing Armbian on an SD card.

You could try it:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

I had to run it on Windows, because I couldn't get it to run under WINE (but I didn't try very hard either).

Linux, Windows, neither system recognizes any sort of card in the drive, even with that formatter, guess that means it is bricked (paved)?
(08-26-2021, 11:12 AM)tallfrye Wrote: Linux, Windows, neither system recognizes any sort of card in the drive, even with that formatter, guess that means it is bricked (paved)?

When you put the card in your laptop, are you using a USB adapter or does the laptop have a slot? If it's a USB adapter, try another one. The only thing I've found that is less reliable than SD cards are those SD to USB adapters!
(08-26-2021, 07:23 PM)calinb Wrote: When you put the card in your laptop, are you using a USB adapter or does the laptop have a slot? If it's a USB adapter, try another one. The only thing I've found that is less reliable than SD cards are those SD to USB adapters!

2 different laptops (one Linux, one Win10), micro to standard adapter into a standard SD port in both. I found a second adapter just to verify...
*  I have a large selection of the usb to micro sd adapters.

Every one of them worked on the first use,  BUT  some of them did fail after that..!

A few times I thought it was the sd card,  but when I tried them  in a different adapter they worked.

Another thing to consider,  the limit of the adapter,  I have found many adapters have a 32gb limit.

NOTE :  of the cheap and moderate priced micro-sd cards that I have bought in the last 2 years,  they all still work,  some are a lil bit faster than others though.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(08-26-2021, 07:54 PM)tallfrye Wrote:
(08-26-2021, 07:23 PM)calinb Wrote: When you put the card in your laptop, are you using a USB adapter or does the laptop have a slot? If it's a USB adapter, try another one. The only thing I've found that is less reliable than SD cards are those SD to USB adapters!

2 different laptops (one Linux, one Win10), micro to standard adapter into a standard SD port in both. I found a second adapter just to verify...

It's worth a try then. I've had to switch USB adapters and then re-run the SD formatter program.
(08-26-2021, 07:58 PM)bcnaz Wrote: *  I have a large selection of the usb to micro sd adapters.

Every one of them worked on the first use,  BUT  some of them did fail after that..!

A few times I thought it was the sd card,  but when I tried them  in a different adapter they worked.

<snip>

Those are my experiences too! I have one USB adapter that corrupts the partition tables (even the backup table), and I have to use TestDisk to recover the files before I repartition the card. It worked fine when new but I've quit using it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MMS-Monitor: Help for carriers with dual APNs? treebeard 2 1,365 02-10-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Phone carriers and the Speakout carrier bedtime 3 2,102 08-16-2022, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Oblivion2528
  compatible carriers the7thpoint 2 1,731 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  UK Carriers Zweitaktmotor 4 3,042 03-27-2022, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Dog House Dave
  Carriers do not support PinePhone? rey70 22 13,360 02-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  pinephone 2 specs discussion - 5G WiFi6 BT5 NFC? - mitcoes 17 16,864 10-08-2021, 07:50 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Question Mobile Carriers 67comet 29 28,152 07-14-2021, 11:47 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pinephone inexpensive carriers and free carriers linux_n 8 9,021 07-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Cannot boot from SD cards any longer. MadHopsMan 8 7,328 05-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Avatars
  Performance improvements, discussion Soong 1 2,277 05-03-2021, 12:27 AM
Last Post: dsimic