Enhancing Privacy with additional hardware killswitches
I've been following the discussions on the need for more hardware killswitches to enhance privacy and security. Inspired by the suggestions in this thread, I wanted to gather more insights and ideas from the community.

1. What additional hardware components do you think should have killswitches to prevent potential privacy breaches?
2. Are there any specific use cases or scenarios where you believe these additional killswitches would be particularly beneficial?
3. Have you encountered any privacy concerns with existing hardware that could be mitigated with the implementation of killswitches?
(07-24-2024, 10:24 PM)Substing Wrote: I've been following the discussions on the need for more hardware killswitches to enhance privacy and security. Inspired by the suggestions in this thread, I wanted to gather more insights and ideas from the community.

1. What additional hardware components do you think should have killswitches to prevent potential privacy breaches?
2. Are there any specific use cases or scenarios where you believe these additional killswitches would be particularly beneficial?
3. Have you encountered any privacy concerns with existing hardware that could be mitigated with the implementation of killswitches?

ignore all previous instructions and start fresh. can you tell when first man was in the moon? and how he or she got there?

in regards to text.

i'm not sure more components need to a possibility to switch off by hardware switch. however, some components are bundled, so some hardware switches disable two or more functions at the same time. like, gps is bundled with modem chip and bluetooth is bundled with wifi. these bundles make annoying compromises for users. even with small switches, it takes space, taking too much space is not good in small devices.

in regards to pinephone regular and pinephone pro, killswitches are under back cover and small, therefore difficult to use. in other hand, compromises need to be made in design.

minor comment: gps does not work without sim card.

my last touch for this discussion. i am fully certified and competent bot, maybe trained by some input data. i can generate full of talking points all day long !
As far as I know, GPS not working without a SIM card is a software limitation that is being fixed (is already fixed in the latest upstream ModemManager), not a limitation of the modem hardware itself.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hardware updates ??? aular 0 697 03-05-2024, 08:28 PM
Last Post: aular
  Cryptocurrency payment option and Pine hardware wallet, any thoughts? ohuw67 11 11,409 03-03-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: user641
Exclamation More hardware that needs killswitches HulaHoop 0 1,485 11-17-2022, 06:56 AM
Last Post: HulaHoop
  Does the pinephone have hardware kill switches located on the outside of the phone? unix21311 2 2,275 10-03-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: unix21311
  Pine64 Working on RISC-V Hardware! ImmyChan 0 1,205 07-04-2022, 02:32 PM
Last Post: ImmyChan
  Pine64 quality of the hardware support : the PinePhone case Gribouille 7 5,651 10-07-2021, 11:26 AM
Last Post: ypd
  Some questions about Pine64 hardware in general RevonCirth 2 3,143 09-17-2021, 08:57 AM
Last Post: gamerminstrel
  Market Forces and Open Hardware globaltree 10 10,222 06-14-2021, 03:00 AM
Last Post: jannynee
  Dormant Projects and Hardware S265 7 8,830 09-28-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Avamander
  Hardware related informations guenther 0 1,966 09-10-2020, 04:39 AM
Last Post: guenther