Have a Galaxy S5, want Phosh on it
My current trouble with the PP is getting worse. For the last two weeks I had to check whether it lost the modem and whether it was time to reboot again. It would happen usually after a few hours. Then the periods when it would see its modem grew shorter and shorter. The last time I got it to communicate was on 7th, when I specifically rebooted it to make a call. That worked, and ten minutes later I couldn't make another call.

Two days ago I tried a few things, but now it not only doesn't turn the modem on anymore, it claims I don't have any sim card. This card worked fine for almost two years in this phone, and about three years in the old Nokla E5 before.

Today I tried to move the sim card to my wife's phone (no good, its slots are wider), so I put it back into my PP... and now it lost the battery too. The SD card is regularly there, megi's multi distro still boots off it.

So I'm giving up. I won't try to fix this. It was a nice adventure, but, frankly, the community can do only so much, and the Pine manufacturer has gone away to other projects too fast too far, so I feel the PP is simply an orphan now.

So, what now... Well, a while ago I was looking into a way to install Manjaro Phosh (or anything else Phosh) onto my daughter's old Samsung S5, which already has TWRP on it, so I think I only need an .img or .iso file... and while it's true that you can find anything on the internet, there's the notorious exception: you can't find twice. Been trying all morning and can't find it. Manjaro.org is undergoing maintenance, perhaps it's there somewhere but just can't reach it at the moment.

Perhaps someone here would know where to find such a distro...

It accidentally started working while I was writing the above... but can't trust it anymore. So my request stays.
Looks like Manjaro's back up now, this page just loaded right up for me https://manjaro.org/download/ though from the list of supported devices there's no Samsung anything. You'd probably have to hack together a solution to make it work and build you own custom image.

you could try postmarketOS or ubports instead. though ubports current release does not support that phone (16.04 img does though,) and the pmOS wiki states there's a lot that doesn't or partially works. it honestly may not be the best phone to run a modern mobile linux with full usability per the device wiki pages i'm seeing from these distros' device wiki pages. Though, I am seeing reports of several people using kali nethunter successfully on the S5, but haven't found a wiki to see if any functionality is missing.
There's something for A3, A5, S4... one of them may even work. Nothing to lose, this phone is discarded already, so if one of them revamps it, the better. Fingers crossed.
The hardware issue you are seeing with the PinePhone looks similar to the USB subsystem failure I had with my first PinePhone: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=17833. But since I do not have any fix for that hardware issue (other than replacing the mainboard or the entire phone), knowing that will not help you all that much, I'm afraid.

(07-11-2024, 09:06 AM)Eugo Wrote: There's something for A3, A5, S4... one of them may even work.
I doubt it. Phone OS images are very specific to the exact phone model. Even, e.g., the S3, S3 Neo, and S3 LTE are very different. Using an image for a differently named device will definitely not work.