PINE64
Auto start application on Phosh login - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: Auto start application on Phosh login (/showthread.php?tid=17278)

Auto start application on Phosh login - Zebulon Walton - 09-03-2022

How do you set up an application to run automatically when logging into Phosh? I don't see anything in Settings about auto-starting applications at login and don't see anything obvious under .local or .config.

RE: Auto start application on Phosh login - LibrePhoneUser - 09-04-2022

(09-03-2022, 06:56 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: How do you set up an application to run automatically when logging into Phosh? I don't see anything in Settings about auto-starting applications at login and don't see anything obvious under .local or .config.

I assume that Phosh is launched by a specific systemd service, so you could write your own systemd service that launches your desired application, and set the Phosh-launching service as a dependency.

RE: Auto start application on Phosh login - alaraajavamma - 09-04-2022

(09-03-2022, 06:56 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: How do you set up an application to run automatically when logging into Phosh? I don't see anything in Settings about auto-starting applications at login and don't see anything obvious under .local or .config.

Correct folder to place .desktop file is ~/.config/autostart/

Or install gnome tweaks but it will do excatly the same thing Smile

RE: Auto start application on Phosh login - Chief - 09-04-2022

Good question. I noted that in /config I have a autostart folder with 0 items in it. On Ubuntu 22.04 we can use 'Startup Application Preferences' to add to auto start so I wonder for Mobian users if they can add this application through terminal? I tried on Arch and did not work.

Edit; Probably not much help but in Postmarket Plasma there is an autostart folder and an autostart-scripts folder in .config.
In the autostart folder is a file named .desktop that has a script of sorts in it.

RE: Auto start application on Phosh login - alaraajavamma - 09-05-2022

(09-04-2022, 06:42 PM)Chief Wrote: Good question. I noted that in /config I have a autostart folder with 0 items in it. On Ubuntu 22.04 we can use 'Startup Application Preferences' to add to auto start so I wonder for Mobian users if they can add this application through terminal? I tried on Arch and did not work.

Edit; Probably not much help but in Postmarket Plasma there is an autostart folder and an autostart-scripts folder in .config.
In the autostart folder is a file named  .desktop that has a script of sorts in it.

If you want GUI install Gnome Tweaks - there is Startup application setup.

Or you can move any .desktop file to ~/.config/autostart/

Both will do the same - when you boot they will start applications inside ~/.config/autostart/

RE: Auto start application on Phosh login - Chief - 09-05-2022

(09-05-2022, 08:13 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 06:42 PM)Chief Wrote: Good question. I noted that in /config I have a autostart folder with 0 items in it. On Ubuntu 22.04 we can use 'Startup Application Preferences' to add to auto start so I wonder for Mobian users if they can add this application through terminal? I tried on Arch and did not work.

In the autostart folder is a file named  .desktop that has a script of sorts in it.

If you want GUI install Gnome Tweaks - there is Startup application setup.

Or you can move any .desktop file to ~/.config/autostart/

Both will do the same - when you boot they will start applications inside ~/.config/autostart/
Right.. I see it and the silly thing is I have Arch Tweaks and Gnome Tweaks installed but I only installed Gnome tweaks for the window min/max buttons. I didn't even notice the startup App aspect - thanks.  Smile

RE: Auto start application on Phosh login - Zebulon Walton - 09-05-2022

Thanks, I'll give ~/.config/autostart a try. (The "autostart" directory is not there so will create it and see if it works.)

RE: Auto start application on Phosh login - Manieck71 - 10-14-2023

I have the same problem. Does the solution described here work?

RE: Auto start application on Phosh login - alaraajavamma - 10-14-2023

(10-14-2023, 06:02 AM)Manieck71 Wrote: I have the same problem. Does the solution described here work?

Yes it does Smile