Anyone tried Anbox-4-arm64 yet?
(07-20-2020, 11:45 PM)appelgriebsch Wrote: Any progress on the Anbox integration?

There are few steps of progress. Ashmem and binder are now part of mainline kernel, though with most PBP distros you will have to enable those flags and build the kernel yourself.

Postmarket OS current has a generic arm64 android.img to use. As a long term project, we could do with a new image that's configured as needed at the build. Using squashfs to alter android.img can easily lead to it not working.

If you just want to try Anbox out, try booting pmOS off an SD, since their install package is the most complete/requires the least amount of hoops to jump through for a working Anbox.

I'm not sure about the status of any markets on pmOS Anbox, but through the other PBP distros, there have been no successful attempts to get Play Store on/working, and partial success getting microG working.

I intend to revisit my Anbox efforts once I have my PineTab.
Hi guys, i tried installing anbox and its image from the repos recently and while it instlls correctly and that I can run the app, it crashes after a few minutes of trying to startup, has anyone tried doing it that way and if so can anyone provide assistance as to what is it that I have to do to make things work? Smile
(08-30-2020, 02:42 AM)Idaho Wrote: Hi guys, i tried installing anbox and its image from the repos recently and while it instlls correctly and that I can run the app, it crashes after a few minutes of trying to startup, has anyone tried doing it that way and if so can anyone provide assistance as to what is it that I have to do to make things work? Smile
 Which repo? It wouldnt surprise me if it was the android.img
(08-31-2020, 06:01 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 02:42 AM)Idaho Wrote: Hi guys, i tried installing anbox and its image from the repos recently and while it instlls correctly and that I can run the app, it crashes after a few minutes of trying to startup, has anyone tried doing it that way and if so can anyone provide assistance as to what is it that I have to do to make things work? Smile

Well it was from the Manjaro repos and it seems the android image is actually the postmarketOS image for aarch64... that's what the package description says at least...
(08-31-2020, 11:05 AM)Idaho Wrote:

Well it was from the Manjaro repos and it seems the android image is actually the postmarketOS image for aarch64... that's what the package description says at least...
 Oh, I forgot they'd been properly packaged and added. You passed the kernel flags that replaced ashmem and binder packages, too?
(08-31-2020, 11:47 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 11:05 AM)Idaho Wrote:

Oh, I forgot they'd been properly packaged and added. You passed the kernel flags that replaced ashmem and binder packages, too?

Didn't do anything of the kind afaik, is there a howto available somewhere so I can give it a try with that added?

Thanks for taking the time to help me with that btw Smile
(08-31-2020, 01:55 PM)Idaho Wrote: Didn't do anything of the kind afaik, is there a howto available somewhere so I can give it a try with that added?

Modprobe is probably the easiest way to enable the 2 require modules in the kernel.

Try:
Code:
$ sudo modprobe ashmem_linux
$ sudo modprobe binder_linux
(You might have to drop the "_linux" idk for sure. I'm waiting for my Tab, since it seems to run decently on the phone.)

If that doesn't work, check out this issue ticket thread for more information on solutions: https://github.com/anbox/anbox-modules/issues/49
(08-31-2020, 02:12 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 01:55 PM)Idaho Wrote: Didn't do anything of the kind afaik, is there a howto available somewhere so I can give it a try with that added?

Modprobe is probably the easiest way to enable the 2 require modules in the kernel.

Try:
Code:
$ sudo modprobe ashmem_linux
$ sudo modprobe binder_linux
(You might have to drop the "_linux" idk for sure. I'm waiting for my Tab, since it seems to run decently on the phone.)

If that doesn't work, check out this issue ticket thread for more information on solutions: https://github.com/anbox/anbox-modules/issues/49

Hmm it doesn't seem to find any modules:

Code:
[idaho@pbpro-manjaro ~]$ sudo modprobe ashmem_linux
modprobe: FATAL: Module ashmem_linux not found in directory /lib/modules/5.8.3-2-MANJARO-ARM
[idaho@pbpro-manjaro ~]$ sudo modprobe ashmem
modprobe: FATAL: Module ashmem not found in directory /lib/modules/5.8.3-2-MANJARO-ARM
[idaho@pbpro-manjaro ~]$ sudo modprobe binder_linux
modprobe: FATAL: Module binder_linux not found in directory /lib/modules/5.8.3-2-MANJARO-ARM
[idaho@pbpro-manjaro ~]$ sudo modprobe binder
modprobe: FATAL: Module binder not found in directory /lib/modules/5.8.3-2-MANJARO-ARM

Also, I've looked at the git report and I'm unsure as to what to do and how to proceed, do I really have to recompile my kernel? Confused The report seem to talk only about how you should do if you're on 5.7 and lower and I'm on 5.8 so yeah, even more unsure...
5.7 was current at the time so you likely need to. If you're using Manjaro you should be able to pass the flags through the PKGBUILD
(09-02-2020, 05:50 AM)tophneal Wrote: 5.7 was current at the time so you likely need to. If you're using Manjaro you should be able to pass the flags through the PKGBUILD

Hmm, I've never recompiled my kernel before, so I don't really know what you mean by passing the flags through PKGBUILD, I'll investigate as to how-to recompile the kernel with the modules but the git report is not every clear (as in providing a step by step guide) about this...

Also it's a bit boring that I have to recompile the kernel, that means every time I update the kernel I'll have to recompile it with the modules? Confused

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compile of Anbox fails because kernel function kallsyms_lookup_name() is unexported Tsvi Bar-David 6 7,694 06-30-2020, 06:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal