U-Boot with direct NVMe boot support for eMMC/SPI Flash
Nah, this has nothing to do with your AUR helper (pamac).
The issue is that Makefile of rkdeveloptool forces GCC to treat all warnings as errors.
Here's the solution:
https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rkdeve.../issues/25

By the way, I updated the repository to use U-Boot v2020.07 and uploaded images for SD/eMMC and SPI.
You can find them on Releases page of the repository.
(07-07-2020, 03:16 PM)tophneal Wrote: This’s is likely what I was trying to say:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mak...e_succeeds

Try adding the suggested option to the pkgbuild. Or you can try grabbing it from git and building it manually
I did try manually from the git and it didn't build that way.  I do not know where to add the lines in the PKGBUILD.  Do I just put them at the top?
Perfect, pcm720 jumped in. Take his advice not mine lol
(07-07-2020, 03:22 PM)pcm720 Wrote: Nah, this has nothing to do with your AUR helper (pamac).
The issue is that Makefile of rkdeveloptool forces GCC to treat all warnings as errors.
Here's the solution:

By the way, I updated the repository to use U-Boot v2020.07 and uploaded images for SD/eMMC and SPI.
Thanks for your help.  I'm having a hard time following what to do on the git page.  If I run "make maintainer-clean" I get the message make: *** No rule to make target 'maintainer-clean'. Stop.

I do not understand where to place the code under "Apply the following patch" in the git page.

Thanks again!
-Josh
Thanks for this @pcm720 .  Although I did sucessfully build from your git using  the current u-boot (on ubuntu focal desktop),  I just grabbed your released spiflash.bin and flashed in on current (from unstable) Manjaro.    It's great--boots even faster than it did with the Feb. mainline uboot and atf.  So far I've only booted from my NVME but will test other devices, too.  

A note for other newbies:  Flash_erase is part of the mtd-utils package in arch/Manjaro and one needs to sudo the flash_erase and dd commands if not logged in as root.  

thanks again.
(07-07-2020, 03:58 PM)mamboman777 Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 03:22 PM)pcm720 Wrote: Nah, this has nothing to do with your AUR helper (pamac).
Here's the solution:

Thanks for your help.  I'm having a hard time following what to do on the git page.  If I run "make maintainer-clean" I get the message make: *** No rule to make target 'maintainer-clean'. Stop.

I do not understand where to place the code under "Apply the following patch" in the git page.

Thanks again!
-Josh

Okay, instead of trying to use PKGBUILD, do the following:
- Clone the repository
- Inside the directory,
 - Run "autoreconf -i"
 - Run "./configure"
 - Run "sed -i "s/-Werror//" Makefile" (with quotes before "s" and after the third "/")
 - Run make
You'll find rkdeveloptool binary inside the repo folder.

(07-07-2020, 07:22 PM)belfastraven Wrote: Thanks for this @pcm720 .  Although I did sucessfully build from your git using  the current u-boot (on ubuntu focal desktop),  I just grabbed your released spiflash.bin and flashed in on current (from unstable) Manjaro.    It's great--boots even faster than it did with the Feb. mainline uboot and atf.  So far I've only booted from my NVME but will test other devices, too.  

A note for other newbies:  Flash_erase is part of the mtd-utils package in arch/Manjaro and one needs to sudo the flash_erase and dd commands if not logged in as root.  

thanks again.

Awesome, thanks for trying it out! Yeah, both commands need to be run with root privileges.
I've added that to release description.
(07-08-2020, 01:00 AM)pcm720 Wrote:
Here's the solution:

Thanks again!
-Josh

- Clone the repository
- Inside the directory,
 - Run "autoreconf -i"
 - Run "./configure"
 - Run "sed -i "s/-Werror//" Makefile" (with quotes before "s" and after the third "/")
 - Run make

(07-07-2020, 07:22 PM)belfastraven Wrote: Thanks for this @pcm720 .  Although I did sucessfully build from your git using  the current u-boot (on ubuntu focal desktop),  I just grabbed your released spiflash.bin and flashed in on current (from unstable) Manjaro.    It's great--boots even faster than it did with the Feb. mainline uboot and atf.  So far I've only booted from my NVME but will test other devices, too.  

thanks again.

Awesome, thanks for trying it out! Yeah, both commands need to be run with root privileges.
All right. Sitrep. I finally get rkdeveloptool up and running, but it's very unstable on my machine for some reason. I'm guessing that my USB is sleeping within seconds of entering maskrom. So I have to enter the commands almost faster than I can type. I got very good at shorting the correct pins on my SPI. That being said. I was able to get the PBP to boot, but only with an empty SPI. I tried flashing spiflash.bin from within Manjaro running on an SD and using maskrom and neither produced bootable machine. Could it be that something went wrong in the build, I am flashing the wrong "spiflash.bin" (I realized there are more than one last night) or something just doesn't seem whenever I try to flash my SPI? What are my next steps?
(07-08-2020, 05:53 AM)mamboman777 Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 01:00 AM)pcm720 Wrote:
Here's the solution:

Thanks again!
-Josh

- Clone the repository
- Inside the directory,
 - Run "autoreconf -i"
 - Run "./configure"
 - Run make

thanks again.

All right. Sitrep. I finally get rkdeveloptool up and running, but it's very unstable on my machine for some reason. I'm guessing that my USB is sleeping within seconds of entering maskrom. So I have to enter the commands almost faster than I can type. I got very good at shorting the correct pins on my SPI. That being said. I was able to get the PBP to boot, but only with an empty SPI. I tried flashing spiflash.bin from within Manjaro running on an SD and using maskrom and neither produced bootable machine. Could it be that something went wrong in the build, I am flashing the wrong "spiflash.bin" (I realized there are more than one last night) or something just doesn't seem whenever I try to flash my SPI? What are my next steps?
Is there a way that someone can get me a properly build "flashspi.bin" to compare to the one I built?  I suspect that's the issue.
get it from @pcm720 https://github.com/pcm720/u-boot-build-s...g/v2020.07 It's on his github site along with instructions for installing without the RKDeveloptools...,
(07-08-2020, 09:57 AM)belfastraven Wrote: get it from @pcm720    https://github.com/pcm720/u-boot-build-s...g/v2020.07  It's on his github site along with instructions for installing without the RKDeveloptools...,
Awesome!  Thank you.  Actually, when comparing I believe the spiflahs.bin I ended up with is similar.  At this point, I'm going to have to enter rkdeveloptools anyways to clear the broken spi flash, so I thought I may as well try while I'm in there.

-Josh

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 630 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 233 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,999 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 562 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Various freezes during boot & while running several Linux distros - hardware error? donuts 1 514 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,130 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
  Selling my Pinebook Pro with a bootable NVMe WD SSD drive pinemouth 0 705 09-27-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: pinemouth
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,069 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Does latest Tow-Boot install/work correctly for everyone? tophneal 4 1,668 08-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Boot into NVME drive, no wifi, sound, buttons... PaulQ 0 751 07-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: PaulQ