Install OS directly to eMMC?
It seems all the OS install tutorials make use of a SD card. Given that the phone doesn't come with a SD card, it is possible to install an OS directly to the eMMC?
Theoretically yes, the A64 SoC used in the PinePhone has a special bootloader mode called FEL mode, which gives you a special device on the USB port, which in turn allows you to upload code and run it. This can be used to upload a loader that exposes the eMMC as USB mass storage. But I am not sure if that is easier than just using a sdcard to write an image to the eMMC.
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
I am sure it does come with an sd card slot,
One of the things you CAN DO with the Pine Phone is test OS'es from an sd card.

I do not know if the eMMC is removable, but I hope it is.

*  We Sure could use a wiki for the Pine Phone  !

----------------------------------------
Update: Jan. 09, 2020

SO, the Brave Heart does have a soldered in 16gb eMMC

After installing a OS we may wish to use the SD card for added storage.

There is the start of a Wiki, though it hopefully will be growing as time goes.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-21-2019, 02:31 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I am sure it does come with an sd card slot,  

I do not know if the eMMC is removable,  but I hope it is.

I don't believe it is. This got brought up yesterday in the subreddit. From https://ameridroid.com/blogs/ameriblogs/...rom-tl-lim

Quote:The eMMC on the PinePhone is surface-mounted and not socketed

IIRC, the decision was made to allow more room internally, for other needed boards.

Also, I noticed the other day that some users have already begun gathering information and have started a few wiki pages for the phone.
(11-21-2019, 02:31 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I am sure it does come with an sd card slot,  

I do not know if the eMMC is removable,  but I hope it is.

Yeah but I prefer to bypass the SD card slot since the eMMC will probably have better performance.

(11-21-2019, 02:27 PM)xalius Wrote: Theoretically yes, the A64 SoC used in the PinePhone has a special bootloader mode called FEL mode, which gives you a special device on the USB port, which in turn allows you to upload code and run it. This can be used to upload a loader that exposes the eMMC as USB mass storage. But I am not sure if that is easier than just using a sdcard to write an image to the eMMC.

Ah, it looks to be possible on the Pine A64 and the Pinebook:

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/NOOB#F...es_Only.29

Is there a FEL button on the pinephone? Also, I'm curious why the Pine A64 needs a SD card with "FEL code" when the Pinebook doesn't need that.
.1) I figured to try a few different OS'es before installing one
.2) When I went to the wiki a few minutes ago and hit search for 'Pine phone'
It did not yield any results, but suggested I start a page.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-21-2019, 02:17 PM)tahayassen Wrote: It seems all the OS install tutorials make use of a SD card. Given that the phone doesn't come with a SD card, it is possible to install an OS directly to the eMMC?

Yes, you can use FEL mode, but I haven't tried it because I haven't played with it before.

But personally, I could boot to a Linux session on the phone and dd the image to the internal eMMC.
Find me in the forest, when I'm at my lowest. I don't really think you should continue..

HOLD YOUR BREATH.
(11-21-2019, 03:29 PM)bcnaz Wrote: .1)  I figured to try a few different OS'es before installing one
.2)  When I went to the wiki a few minutes ago and hit search for 'Pine phone'  
It did not yield any results, but suggested I start a page.

Try hardware page here and software page here.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
YEP,   those links go to the pine phone,
Yesterday I went the wiki from the icon at the top of the forum page,  and found no listing for the pine phone..

THANK YOU  !

:-)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
i could transfer PostmarketOS Image from the sdcard to the emmc with dd.
I used this command from the PinePhone Terminal (Or better ssh)
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=1M

It will take about 15min (depending on the speed of your card), in the end it will show en error about not enough space - just ignore it.
Working fine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 24,373 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  changing from bullseye to bookworm to install mmsd-tng jyoung 8 2,948 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Install OS Permanently ismkdc 1 1,376 03-20-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: fxc
Question PinephonePro can't Flashing to the eMMC ricardo 0 732 08-21-2022, 05:51 AM
Last Post: ricardo
  install packages pamac anbox neithan76 0 713 07-18-2022, 07:13 AM
Last Post: neithan76
  How to replace the home folder on eMMC ragreenburg 2 1,746 03-31-2022, 02:19 PM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  Wipe out eMMC before flashing new OS? zkajdan 15 9,935 11-13-2021, 03:10 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Streamlined jmms install amindfv 1 1,675 10-29-2021, 07:04 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Anbox: install Google Services sonic 0 1,948 02-07-2021, 04:45 AM
Last Post: sonic
  Emmc drive gone? Flashing with Jump Drive muemmel 2 3,415 11-12-2020, 05:40 PM
Last Post: hiimtye