4 GB RAM limit
(08-10-2019, 11:13 AM)z4v4l Wrote: to chessie, man, you are the only one here moaning, complaining and calling everybody incompetent, diletant and so on. maybe you just calm down? we got it, you are teh most competentest one ever and you seem to to have a lot of time to waste to talk about it, but why you need to start flame out of nothing? i just read your posts here and can't undrerstand why? why you decide to start bickering, where none said anything bad about pinebook pro, none were moaning, until you showed up and started it, the moaning. if you are so good and skilled, compared to all those, maybe you could help people really, look, there is a lot of "help me" posts, this is a howto forum mostly afrer all. maybe you'd be better off to direct your enthusiasm there, instead of posting smartass quotes about how other people are stupid. nobody cares about this, the only effect it makes - you look like a crackpot.

I could not have come up with anything more perfect than this post--#20--to make all my points.

Thank you, z4v4l.

Oh, by the way...Ever heard of the Dunning-Kruger Effect?
Everyone should cool down and enjoy the perspective offered to have a 4 GiB Pinebook Pro.
After putting my $0.02 in, I am just here enjoying my popcorn.

Cheers everyone to a fantastic day!
-Happy Testing
(Posted from my Pinebook  PRO Mate)
Getting Paid to break your product (and make it better) since 2005
My current laptop has 3GiB and it's not quite enough to comfortably use a desktop web browser. Until I install NoScript and stop opening dozens of tabs, that is...

Current top 10 memory consuming processes on my laptop:
  • Thunderbird
  • Firefox
  • Web Content
  • Discord
  • Web Content (again)
  • WebExtensions
  • Web Content (um)
  • Web Content (this is getting ridiculous)
  • Web Content (okay, seriously though)
  • Web Content (...)

Counting only unshared anonymous memory they consume a little more than 1.5 gigabytes.

...Hey, every single one of those processes is JavaScript-heavy... >_>
As an owner of 4GB chromebooks: zswap is your friend.
I've been using zram as swap. I should try zswap to compare.
If web is too demanding on the ram front, switch to a more capable machine instead to force yourself into a weaker offering.
You also can:
- use uMatrix plugin. It's a powerful plugin from which you can choose which javascript (among other things) is allowed to run.This is what I do on my powerful ryzen powered computer (for security purpose).
- use a tiny windows manager. I use sway on my ryzen desktop because it's very handy and powerful for people who love console
- use neomutt instead of thunderbird (great for console guys)
- and so on.... I mostly use console application

I think with that, you will find 4GB of RAM enough.
If you really need more RAM ... then build a cluster ?  Big Grin Ok, I'm joking, but I also think that you should then avoid ARM board for now. Maybe in 3 years you will have something more powerful ?
(08-14-2019, 11:44 PM)Solra Bizna Wrote: I've been using zram as swap. I should try zswap to compare.

I meant to say zram but I keep mentally switching it for zswap. Regardless, chromebooks don't use zswap, they use zram.
Instead to resort to ram compressors, can't they simply be less ram demanding for what is just a scripting language ? I mean, come on, relying on the end consumer to get a decent configuration to counter balance coders' laziness is still a thing as it stands out.