Android and Ethernet
Received my 1gb PINE last week. Debian, Ubuntu, and RemixOS all detect ethernet and connect. No such luck with Android. Status shows IP address as "Unavailable." I have link and activity lights, so the hardware is fine. Thoughts?
(05-02-2016, 11:06 AM)bishop375 Wrote: Received my 1gb PINE last week. Debian, Ubuntu, and RemixOS all detect ethernet and connect. No such luck with Android. Status shows IP address as "Unavailable." I have link and activity lights, so the hardware is fine. Thoughts?

Let me tell you my recent experience - I have a decent 16GB Kingston UHS-I/Class 10 card that I use for Android images (only because the PoS software PhoenixCard is able to write to successfully after 10-20 tries).  Linux and RemixOS work pretty good on it and I have no problem accessing internet (my Pine64 2GB is connected to a 100MB switch though).  But when I loaded onto Kingston even the latest 0428 Android image, it was still dragging ass and Play Store would time out and built-in WebBrowser could not even resolve google.com.  Not sure why I decided to copy (through "dd") the whole Kingston card onto my other Samsung Pro UHS-3/Class 10 card, but when Samsung booted I just could not believe my eyes - internet was much-much better!  It is still not as snappy as on Linux, but at least everything works without errors.

So, for what it's worth - try a Samsung Evo or Pro card.  Maybe you'll have a similar experience.

For some reason I could never make PhoenixCard burn the image successfully onto the Samsung card.  Did I mention that PhoenixCard is the biggest PoS software that I've ever had to deal with? Tongue
Away
After having my pine since they first came out I finally got around to setting it up on Android. Here is what i have done so far and it seems to work great. 

Bought a brand new SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC UHS-1 card (95/90 read/write speeds). Used diskpart to clear the partition table and create a new primary partition. I used PheonixCard v310 with the latest PheonixCard android image from the pine wiki (428) and i was able to burn the image on the first try. 

The first boot on the pine took less than 2 minutes and then from there I tried connecting to the play store or browser. No Ethernet connectivity. Read about this issue on the forum and found the problem. Gig ethernet not currently working for the 2GB pine board. Using the suggestions and connecting the board to a base10T switch inline with my router I was able gain access to the internet via the pine board. 

Speedtests comparison with my android phone (M8) to the pine board.

download / upload (MBPS)
Pine64 :  6.9 / 5.3
M8:  32.1 / 12.1

Installed Kodi on my pine and was able to stably steam show and movies. I would call that a success. I also read posts about power being an issue; I am using a 40W two-port Anker charging brick; 2.4 amp port. Works great with all my micro sd devices.
(05-02-2016, 08:08 PM)wind Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 11:06 AM)bishop375 Wrote: Received my 1gb PINE last week. Debian, Ubuntu, and RemixOS all detect ethernet and connect. No such luck with Android. Status shows IP address as "Unavailable." I have link and activity lights, so the hardware is fine. Thoughts?

Let me tell you my recent experience - I have a decent 16GB Kingston UHS-I/Class 10 card that I use for Android images (only because the PoS software PhoenixCard is able to write to successfully after 10-20 tries).  Linux and RemixOS work pretty good on it and I have no problem accessing internet (my Pine64 2GB is connected to a 100MB switch though).  But when I loaded onto Kingston even the latest 0428 Android image, it was still dragging ass and Play Store would time out and built-in WebBrowser could not even resolve google.com.  Not sure why I decided to copy (through "dd") the whole Kingston card onto my other Samsung Pro UHS-3/Class 10 card, but when Samsung booted I just could not believe my eyes - internet was much-much better!  It is still not as snappy as on Linux, but at least everything works without errors.

So, for what it's worth - try a Samsung Evo or Pro card.  Maybe you'll have a similar experience.

For some reason I could never make PhoenixCard burn the image successfully onto the Samsung card.  Did I mention that PhoenixCard is the biggest PoS software that I've ever had to deal with? Tongue

I'm already using a Samsung Evo card. :/
yes, phoenix card is 100% PoS!
I tried million times to burn image on my 2 cards. finally, success!!! now it working everything, but on 100Mb LAN. Gb still not working...
same issue here, all working perfect on 100Mb/s or linux, no luck on android at 1Gb/s.
If anyone knows a trick to access the ethernet driver and change settings I'll take that.
We are currently getting the latest PHY driver from Realtek (PHY chip vendor) and check whether this will resolve the Gbit issue or concern. In our own lab, the Gbit seems works fine and we are that users seems getting no good results. Hopefully, the new PHY driver integration will able to resolve this outstanding issue. This takes 2-3 week for release.
(06-17-2016, 05:13 PM)tllim Wrote: We are currently getting the latest PHY driver from Realtek (PHY chip vendor) and check whether this will resolve the Gbit issue or concern. In our own lab, the Gbit seems works fine and we are that users seems getting no good results. Hopefully, the new PHY driver integration will able to resolve this outstanding issue. This takes 2-3 week for release.

Love to see this update and test it. Since the issue I tried other o.s. but the Android package is the one I would like to use.
(06-17-2016, 05:13 PM)tllim Wrote: We are currently getting the latest PHY driver from Realtek (PHY chip vendor) and check whether this will resolve the Gbit issue or concern. In our own lab, the Gbit seems works fine and we are that users seems getting no good results. Hopefully, the new PHY driver integration will able to resolve this outstanding issue. This takes 2-3 week for release.

TL Lim,

Any other updates with the coming image? 
Will Skype calls work? With current UVC driver Skype crashes and I suppose the specific driver needs refinement.
What about compatibility with 720p monitors? USB audio capability?
(06-19-2016, 03:59 AM)g_t_j Wrote:

TL Lim,

Any other updates with the coming image? 
Will Skype calls work? With current UVC driver Skype crashes and I suppose the specific driver needs refinement.
What about compatibility with 720p monitors? USB audio capability?

The compatibility of the 720p will be include on next release. The others items still not yet look into due to we rather focus on bring up Marshmallow build first.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android 6.0 Tablet and TV (release candidate, maintained) ayufan 228 389,803 12-29-2020, 01:13 AM
Last Post: firmwarefile
Shocked Remote for Android? liodra 18 29,830 12-23-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Adding an accelerometer to Android modsbyus 11 16,886 11-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Little_Johnny
  Android Things OS dqvsra 2 7,007 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Last Post: hangglider
  Is there another link for Android images? Maalth 3 7,083 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Android SDK Oreo NGC6691 2 5,633 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Putting Android 9 RockPro64 source into easier to manage repositories dazza5000 0 3,356 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Android 5.1.1 TV (old-stable, no longer maintained) ayufan 194 259,683 03-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: neosapien
  Issues with SD Card and Running Android Twistedx 0 3,558 02-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Twistedx
  Android 7.1 (PINE A64(+)) pineadmin 59 105,623 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Last Post: mmmarcus