assembly instructions
Is there any assembly instructions for the playbox enclosure and LCD?
Not in a hurry to get the ribbons back to front and fry my pine after waiting so long.
The brackets which hold the LCD in place (not sure what to call them) seem to be labeled with "Right" and "Left" indicators, but they don't seem to match up correctly. If I mount them as they fit, I'll have mixed Right with Left. I'd appreciate some assembly instructions as well. Hopefully someone will respond soon.
I'm getting tired of Kickstarter projects that ship a bag of parts with no list of items, let alone assembly instructions - especially if the order of assembly is critical.
Idea Is there anyone who has successfully assembled the enclosure / PINE / LCD that is willing to write a description of the process?
Haha, I'm also looking for the PlayBox / LCD assembly instructions!

These two images from the July 27, 2016 Kickstarter Update are the closest help I have found:

[Image: 88cb28c34689b9b696b57882b62a5d89_origina...e235edc204]

[Image: a63ee73b3a313098b6968d78f53f7a1a_origina...997d8bf81c]
This YouTube video is more detailed.
I was able to assemble everything.
The first picture from the previous post is important, because it shows you how the board fits into the case. The first time around, I didn't pay enough attention, didn't do it this way, and then the cables didn't fit.
(08-31-2016, 05:39 PM)PapaStahl Wrote: This YouTube video is more detailed.
I was able to assemble everything.
The first picture from the previous post is important, because it shows you how the board fits into the case. The first time around, I didn't pay enough attention, didn't do it this way, and then the cables didn't fit.

Thanks for finding this. Apart from being horrified with the soldering, this video at least confirms the layout I had thought was the best option. The layout of the board is far from ideal which is disappointing as the operation of the final unit is where the satisfaction should be. As a "maker/hacker" type project I find the enclosure falling short on expectations. Be warned once you clip the back on it is fairly final, so for me the back will be a coffee coaster and for this it is quite good as I can fit two cups on it Smile .

I have been playing around with the different operating systems and as such access to the sd card is a bit of an oversight. The routing of the ribbon cables is a bit of find the best you can because once again the layout does not allow a neat solution.

Now I understand kickstarter projects so I'm not going to bitch about the lack of instructions in the box, but there should at least be something on the website to download.
I'm going to give the case a 5 out of 10. It doesn't really seem ideal for my needs, and given the wait I was expecting something better.
plus points: Quality is really good, nice finish, is quite robust, battery tray, and holds the screen really secure.
minus points: No neat ribbon cable runs due to layout, no SD card access, almost impossible to access once closed (without causing significant damage), ribbon cables interfere with expansion ports, no cover plate to neaten the USB end (left with 1 big hole). Not enough clearance for anything plugged onto the expansion ports (e.g. POT boards)
That aside I love the PINE64 as a board, and I'm looking forward to adding some more connectivity for real world interfacing and seeing what I can make it do. (And designing my own housing as a future project)

Regards

Ken
Well, using the videos from Bob Carlson and the original images, I was able to install the Pine in its box; however, when I attempted to run the Debian distribution, I ran into major problems.

I understand that the LCD is not yet supported, and I'm willing to wait for the 'real' distribution, but the most recent one has a big flaw - if you attempt to boot it when the LCD is attached, it performs a hard stop or a reset after 17 seconds. Every time, regardless of whether or not the HDMI is connected as well.

The Android (LCD) distribution boots fine and the touch screen works, so this is clearly not a case of an improperly connected flat cable.

It would be far more useful if the non-Android distributions could just ignore the LCD panel if they aren't going to support it. As it is, I'm either forced to rewrite my applications to run on Android, for which there is no demand, use the enclosure but disconnect the LCD panel and ignore it, or make a new enclosure that doesn't include the LCD panel - none of which are attractive.

Sad For now, I'll leave Android installed and simply shelve the Pine until such time as I can use it with Linux.
ABS arrived today.  Got is assembled as best that I could.  Note that there are two screw sizes.  4 are smaller than the rest -- for mounting battery plate.  It wasn't obvious since everything was in the same bag.

A couple of notes on quality:
  •  The front of the plastic face had a gouge on the edge.  Not sure if it was done in shipping or in manufacturing.
  •  Couple of the screws still had metal pieces where the phillips head screw driver should fit, making the screw useless.
  •  There is nothing to hold the battery in place.  Don't really want a battery sliding around hitting Euler bus.
  • It appears the enclosure/LCD panel isn't meant to be used with the camera.  Camera ribbon length is too short.  No mounting bracket for camera.  Even if you hold the camera sensor up to the hole on the LCD the view is to obscured.  Needs to be flush mounted to the LCD glass.
  • The case back is not meant to be opened and closed regularly -- closer to being closed permanently.  Bad deal if you want to swap out micro SD cards.
If you are going to be using the USB ports while (solely) on the battery, you will need to move the jumper from DC3V to BAT or the USB ports won't be powered.
(09-03-2016, 03:14 PM)edgeman Wrote: ABS arrived today.  Got is assembled as best that I could.  Note that there are two screw sizes.  4 are smaller than the rest -- for mounting battery plate.  It wasn't obvious since everything was in the same bag.

A couple of notes on quality:
  •  The front of the plastic face had a gouge on the edge.  Not sure if it was done in shipping or in manufacturing.
  •  Couple of the screws still had metal pieces where the phillips head screw driver should fit, making the screw useless.
  •  There is nothing to hold the battery in place.  Don't really want a battery sliding around hitting Euler bus.
  • It appears the enclosure/LCD panel isn't meant to be used with the camera.  Camera ribbon length is too short.  No mounting bracket for camera.  Even if you hold the camera sensor up to the hole on the LCD the view is to obscured.  Needs to be flush mounted to the LCD glass.
  • The case back is not meant to be opened and closed regularly -- closer to being closed permanently.  Bad deal if you want to swap out micro SD cards.
If you are going to be using the USB ports while (solely) on the battery, you will need to move the jumper from DC3V to BAT or the USB ports won't be powered.

hi, this is just a quick note on the battery;  a cool trick is to use sticky velcro strips (one side stuck to the pine and one side stuck to the battery; can be easily removed, yet won't slide around in the case.

They make now a 'plastic' velcro that I use all the time (works the same way, but no fabric is involved).
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official C4 Labs LCD Enclosure *UPDATED WITH ASSEMBLY VIDEO* Bluphire 12 24,492 01-06-2017, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve