Messed Up Modem
One of the gold prongs is missing off the board, and it's extremely finicky picking up a sim now or if one is picked up it eventually drops signal.

Currently, there is no cheaper way to get a new modem, is there? Unless I found a cheaper pinephone altogether on ebay used and removed it myself and replaced it.

Basically I had a micro inside a mini and that grove caught hold of the prongs one time and snagged up and out from the board, really wish we could just upgrade the slot all the way from a mini to a standard micro.
(11-05-2023, 11:26 AM)dorkydev Wrote: One of the gold prongs is missing off the board, and it's extremely finicky picking up a sim now or if one is picked up it eventually drops signal.

Currently, there is no cheaper way to get a new modem, is there? Unless I found a cheaper pinephone altogether on ebay used and removed it myself and replaced it.

Basically I had a micro inside a mini and that grove caught hold of the prongs one time and snagged up and out from the board, really wish we could just upgrade the slot all the way from a mini to a standard micro.

That happened to my older PPP as well.
I went to a local cell phone repair shop and got another prong soldered on for $25.00
(11-05-2023, 01:09 PM)DaForest Wrote:
(11-05-2023, 11:26 AM)dorkydev Wrote: One of the gold prongs is missing off the board, and it's extremely finicky picking up a sim now or if one is picked up it eventually drops signal.

That happened to my older PPP as well.
I went to a local cell phone repair shop and got another prong soldered on for $25.00

Good to know, I'll have to check around the local phone repair shops and see who will do it.

Then get a new sim kit and only break it out to a mini, so no pesky groves eat up my tray! LMAO

just to clear up confusion, did you mean micro-sim and nano-sim?

none of the pinephone models take mini-sim.
As I thought all these cell phone stores around me are too lazy to even attempt anything

uBreakiFix wanted to get caught up on what type it was then thought I said something about Xfinity Mobile

Every other were all saying we don't solder

I've already called 7 others

(11-05-2023, 02:08 PM)zetabeta Wrote:

Yup that's what I meant then

haha

(11-05-2023, 02:08 PM)zetabeta Wrote:

Nano, nemo nino, it's getting as bad as the various sub genre's of metal!
haha
Yup I did, and this is still nuts bunch of lazies around here, they act like they're allergic to a soldering gun. SMH
There's always the Pinecil  Big Grin
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(11-15-2023, 07:10 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: There's always the Pinecil  Big Grin
I haven't ever soldered a single thing in the 49 years of my existence. LMAO

Done a lot of other technical repairs that only require dismantling removing dropping back in place and reassembling.

The easypeasy stuff and no not linux distro!

Just as guilty as the rest of the technicians round here!
Soldering is easypeasy. Use eutectic solder and you can't even mess up. Don't do what everyone else says and use silver solder. 63/38 lead bearing solder is ridiculously easy to use. The hardest part will be finding the replacement pin.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(11-15-2023, 09:15 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Soldering is easypeasy.  Use eutectic solder and you can't even mess up.  Don't do what everyone else says and use silver solder.  63/38 lead bearing solder is ridiculously easy to use.  The hardest part will be finding the replacement pin.

But cold feet, ya know my toes might freeze and fall off!! LMAO 

What other materials would I need and how would properly make a triangular prong?

My ADHD when I start a new thing I want just about as much as every single needed piece of information involved needed before starting, I guess you'd say hyperfocusing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Pro Explorer's edition Qualcomm modem recovery shifras 7 1,130 03-24-2024, 02:22 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Failed firmware change for the Quectel EG25GGBR07A08M2G modem of PPP Explorer Edition andrey 1 372 02-17-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: traut
  modem isn't online - Arch config bad? brb78 3 2,794 12-10-2021, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Danct12