Suitable Gift?
Hello,

I have a friend who mentioned that she would like a soldering iron.  I came across the Pinecil here and now I am intrigued in it as a Christmas present.  My friend is decent with computers, though has never programed as far as I'm aware.  She's a chemist, not a programmer.  So I'm wondering how much messing around with flashing etc. is required it get it running and keep it so.

If I were to get it for her, are there and suggested accessories as well?

I like Pine devices, (my PineTime is cool,) and I'd like to spread interest if possible. 

Thanks! Heart
(10-19-2023, 11:53 PM)Tourma Wrote: Hello,

I have a friend who mentioned that she would like a soldering iron.  I came across the Pinecil here and now I am intrigued in it as a Christmas present.  My friend is decent with computers, though has never programed as far as I'm aware.  She's a chemist, not a programmer.  So I'm wondering how much messing around with flashing etc. is required it get it running and keep it so.

I like Pine devices, (my PineTime is cool,) and I'd like to spread interest if possible. 

Thanks! Heart

The suggested accessories are 65W PinePower GaN charger and 1.5 meter USB-C to USB-C silicon cable. Glad to know you likes your PineTime :-)
(10-28-2023, 09:48 PM)tllim Wrote:

Thanks! Heart

The suggested accessories are 65W PinePower GaN charger and 1.5 meter USB-C to USB-C silicon cable. Glad to know you likes your PineTime :-)

After discussing it on the Matrix channel, I decided that this was a good gift, and got the charger and cord you mentioned.

This actually works out well, (I think) as they live in Europe and I in the US, and small appliances tend to not work with the difference in voltage.  With a USB powered one, it can work wherever. Yay universal standards.

Also, it was the same shipping to the US or there in Europe, so I saved money on that too.  I offered to pay tariff back to my friends if there is any.

I'll report back after Christmas to say how she likes it.  Hoping it's as solid as my PineTime. Heart
(10-28-2023, 09:48 PM)tllim Wrote:

Thanks! Heart

The V2 is rated at 24V / 88W so why would you limit the PSU to 65W?   Best performance surely would be 90W or similar?