Is Dev kit still a must for application programming in 2023? thx
hi,

1. just ordered a sealed version as i saw people on youtube (likely the leader from wasp-os) could still use bluetooth to flash OS, flash software to pinetime.

2. this post from lwn also claims that unless doing very low level development, otherwise it's not necessary:
PINE64 does sell a developer kit, which has the same hardware as the PineTime but is not sealed, allowing access to pins for resetting and reflashing the watch. Developers who want to work on the bootloader will probably want a developer kit, but, because of the watchdog, it should not be necessary for other development. The developer kit is currently out of stock, but it appears that this is temporary. It is also possible to break the seal and open the watch, but there is a risk of damaging the hardware.

3. i knew sometimes if the watch freezes, having the kit could instantly reboot it and it is more reasonable than wait till it drain, but the kit is semi...either you drill a hole, solder some wires and cover up the watch,
OR it would be one that easily tear away. so, in addition to money (which i could afford next month), there still a lot of DIY to do.

So, i just write some simple programs, esp with help of gpt4 for application. if it freezed once/twice per month, i am ok to wait till it drain.
then can i avoid the dev kit? avoid the soldering and drilling as i dont have these DIY tools myself.

thanks

ref:
https://lwn.net/Articles/941796/