PPP as a PDA.
I  am using my PPP as a PDA and it works fantastic with Arch Linux Phosh. I shut off the modem and the device is as cool as ever. Never overheats even while on wifi. At present with mild usage through the day I'm in the 8th hour of usage and the battery reads 87% remaining. I'm guessing that the PPP could go around 12 hours of use depending on usage type. 
F.Y.I.
Thumbs Up 
(09-10-2023, 05:30 PM)DaForest Wrote: I  am using my PPP as a PDA and it works fantastic with Arch Linux Phosh. I shut off the modem and the device is as cool as ever. Never overheats even while on wifi. At present with mild usage through the day I'm in the 8th hour of usage and the battery reads 87% remaining. I'm guessing that the PPP could go around 12 hours of use depending on usage type. 
F.Y.I.

Great to know.

Thanks DaForest
I've removed my SIM, turned off the modem, to do the same: make my PP Community Edition into a PDA with PKB, run by Manjaro Phosh with an xfce desktop. Rock-solid, even after big Manjaro updates. I use a Debian container for x86 applications, running Word 97 and others of my favorites, and combined battery life will take me through the day (it does help to blank the screen and toggle the wifi).
(09-10-2023, 05:30 PM)DaForest Wrote: I  am using my PPP as a PDA and it works fantastic with Arch Linux Phosh. I shut off the modem and the device is as cool as ever. Never overheats even while on wifi. At present with mild usage through the day I'm in the 8th hour of usage and the battery reads 87% remaining. I'm guessing that the PPP could go around 12 hours of use depending on usage type. 
F.Y.I.

So you turned off the 1st switch to achieve that? I have to give it a try, definitely! Even as a Wi-Fi-only device, it would be
great to use for now (90% of the time I'm covered by a Wi-Fi connection) if the battery life gets decent. It's a bit of a shame that the switches are so tiny and unreachable.
Pinephone Braveheart
Pinephone Manjaro CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Mobian CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition
F.Y.I.

Thanks,

This is the mode I was waiting to see discussed, I thought I was the only one here avoiding telcom woes.

Disabling the modem disables GPS whichc is the only downside.

I do the same on my Pinephone (Debian) Manjaro Phosh

If I can find a replacement for the GNSS I would buy a PPP now.
(09-22-2023, 08:48 PM)jakfish Wrote: I've removed my SIM, turned off the modem, to do the same: make my PP Community Edition into a PDA with PKB, run by Manjaro Phosh with an xfce desktop. Rock-solid, even after big Manjaro updates. I use a Debian container for x86 applications, running Word 97 and others of my favorites, and combined battery life will take me through the day (it does help to blank the screen and toggle the wifi).

Toggling wifi for sure will save energy and also keep the device cool. I also allow suspend. I think it is possible to get over 12 hours out of a charge generally. At present I am using Arch Plasma nicely. The only thing I don't have is onscreen keyboard in Libreoffice. This is an age-old bug.

(09-25-2023, 06:38 PM)deedend Wrote:
F.Y.I.

So you turned off the 1st switch to achieve that? I have to give it a try, definitely! Even as a Wi-Fi-only device, it would be
great to use for now (90% of the time I'm covered by a Wi-Fi connection) if the battery life gets decent. It's a bit of a shame that the switches are so tiny and unreachable.

All switches off except 2 and 6 as this is my preference. What I have noticed is that the PPP remains at best room temperature and no warmer than that. I know for sure that the device life will seriously extend as a result. Even with wifi on and using the browser (Falkon) the device is barely warm at all. I'm good with this result.
I tried my best with LO, and I much admire its developers/users, but it's a tough call on the PP, even with the pkb.

Since I really want this device to be a computer more than a phone, setting up a Debian container for Word 97 was worth the effort. True, Word does take a while to load, but once running, it's light on the cpu, and M$ quietly put out a file converter package that will allow .docx on 97. From there, you can edit WINE's user.reg and make a readable white font on black screen and trade all the extraneous toolbars for more screen real estate.

I THINK an x86 container would run on  Arch Plasma.
(09-26-2023, 03:22 PM)jakfish Wrote: I tried my best with LO, and I much admire its developers/users, but it's a tough call on the PP, even with the pkb.

What is LO?
Pinephone Braveheart
Pinephone Manjaro CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Mobian CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition
LibreOffice.
(09-26-2023, 03:22 PM)jakfish Wrote: I tried my best with LO, and I much admire its developers/users, but it's a tough call on the PP, even with the pkb.

Since I really want this device to be a computer more than a phone, setting up a Debian container for Word 97 was worth the effort. True, Word does take a while to load, but once running, it's light on the cpu, and M$ quietly put out a file converter package that will allow .docx on 97. From there, you can edit WINE's user.reg and make a readable white font on black screen and trade all the extraneous toolbars for more screen real estate.

I THINK an x86 container would run on  Arch Plasma.

I use LO with no issues on Arch Phosh. However on Arch Plasma still no onscreen keyboard. Regardless the PPP works perfectly with Arch Phosh, HDMI and keyboard and mouse. As I may have commented on before (?) I also use an iClever keyboard mouse touch pad combo as well. It is folding and can go as much as 2 months on a single charge which is fantastic. At present I am using the latest version of Arch Phosh that being 2023-09-25 from github. Works extremely well.