dd'ed Mobian, bricked?
I tried to dd the Mobian image as I've done with Rhino to the internal flash of the Pinetab Pro.

After this the tab doesn't seem to start anymore. It didn't boot from the emmc, nor will it boot from SD.

What should I do to get things up and running again?
(09-07-2023, 01:13 PM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: I tried to dd the Mobian image as I've done with Rhino to the internal flash of the Pinetab Pro.

After this the tab doesn't seem to start anymore. It didn't boot from the emmc, nor will it boot from SD.

What should I do to get things up and running again?

i would try balenaetcher

ezik
That doesn't change the fact that the Pinetab Pro doesn't start anymore with an SD inserted, no matter the distro.

I've had no issues booting Ubuntu touch nor Rhino before.

I am really at a loss.
Screen is black, no matter what I do. If I try to boot from emmc, or if I try to boot a newly flashed SD card with Ubuntu touch or Rhino.

Just an expensive paper weight or can something be done?
I don't believe there is a PineTab Pro?
At https://wiki.mobian.org/ you can find their communication channels; probably best to try it there.
(09-08-2023, 02:37 AM)diederik Wrote: I don't believe there is a PineTab Pro?
At https://wiki.mobian.org/ you can find their communication channels; probably best to try it there.

Sorry, 2.

But is this a Mobian issue? I can't start the tab what so ever, no matter what distro I flash onto the SD card after trying to dd Mobian to the internal flash.

The screen is completely black. Absolutely nothing happens when I try to start it. No text. No errors. No nothing. Am I not correct to assume it would start a distro that is not Mobian from SD?
(09-08-2023, 03:17 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 02:37 AM)diederik Wrote: At https://wiki.mobian.org/ you can find their communication channels; probably best to try it there.

But is this a Mobian issue? I can't start the tab what so ever, no matter what distro I flash onto the SD card after trying to dd Mobian to the internal flash.

The screen is completely black. Absolutely nothing happens when I try to start it. No text. No errors. No nothing. Am I not correct to assume it would start a distro that is not Mobian from SD?

I think you should see it completely failing when you connect the serial console with the adapter that's provided in the box.
And yes, this is a Mobian issue. Either their u-boot is broken or their instruction or both.
And it does find a bootloader (u-boot) in SPI, which takes precedent over all others ... but that bootloader doesn't do what it's supposed to do and then you end up in the situation you're in.

You can also ask on the #pinetab channel on Pine64's communication channel. IIRC they have dealt with this situation several times.
(09-08-2023, 09:30 AM)diederik Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 02:37 AM)diederik Wrote: At https://wiki.mobian.org/ you can find their communication channels; probably best to try it there.

I think you should see it completely failing when you connect the serial console with the adapter that's provided in the box.
And yes, this is a Mobian issue. Either their u-boot is broken or their instruction or both.
And it does find a bootloader (u-boot) in SPI, which takes precedent over all others ... but that bootloader doesn't do what it's supposed to do and then you end up in the situation you're in.

You can also ask on the #pinetab channel on Pine64's communication channel. IIRC they have dealt with this situation several times.

Thank you
(09-08-2023, 10:06 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote:

Thank you

We discussed your issue in the PineTab channel and multiple developers and community members are the opinion that your PineTab2 boots into Maskrom mode due to the lack of a bootloader (flashing Mobian overwrote the bootloader on the eMMC). You can confirm this by connecting the tablet to a computer via USB and by typing "lsusb" in the console, in that case it would show a line with Maskrom mode. The PineTab2's battery is additionally also possibly drained from running in Maskrom mode for a long time.

If you re-join the channel we can further help you.
(09-09-2023, 01:24 PM)fxc Wrote:

Thank you

We discussed your issue in the PineTab channel and multiple developers and community members are the opinion that your PineTab2 boots into Maskrom mode due to the lack of a bootloader (flashing Mobian overwrote the bootloader on the eMMC). You can confirm this by connecting the tablet to a computer via USB and by typing "lsusb" in the console, in that case it would show a line with Maskrom mode. The PineTab2's battery is additionally also possibly drained from running in Maskrom mode for a long time.

Was this ever resolved? I seem to be in a similar situation and would appreciate any guidance.
(02-24-2024, 07:34 PM)jkboyd Wrote:
(09-09-2023, 01:24 PM)fxc Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 03:17 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: But is this a Mobian issue? I can't start the tab what so ever, no matter what distro I flash onto the SD card after trying to dd Mobian to the internal flash.

Thank you

Was this ever resolved? I seem to be in a similar situation and would appreciate any guidance.

Hey there, please join the PineTab2 channel. Fastest way to resolve issues: https://pine64.org/community/#chat_platforms

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bricked my PineTab2 using Jumpdrive? jkboyd 2 338 02-24-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: jkboyd