Pinetab 2 just arrived + when can hope to se wifi driver
It was with much anticipation that I awaited my Pinetab 2. Just arrived. Hardware feels solid. Screen is terrific but…

When I ordered, I didn’t understand that it’s not yet ready for prime time. I won’t be able to use it until I have wifi. Checked recommended adapters, but they don’t seem to have USB C adaptors. Cable + clumsy adaptor just won’t work for me.

I couldn’t find a browser anyway, nor could I see how to bring up a bash terminal.

So… questions:

1. Any projections when wifi driver will be available and stable?
2. How will I install when available?
3. Browser— will I need to download one once wifi is installed?
4. MOST IMMEDIATELY HELPFUL— Can I launch a bash terminal and if so, how?

I do much look forward to happy days on the Pinetab 2.

Many thanks,

LRP
I also just got my Pinetab2, and am waiting for wifi.

However, to answer your other questions, I believe the Angelfish browser is installed, and you can launch a terminal using Konsole.
Just get a $15 usb wifi dongle and usb c adapter off Amazon.
Hi LRP,

If you really need WiFi now, you could use: USB OTG adapter, hama part #00200311 & tp-link AC1300; I can confirm they are working & if you have one, the PBP dock is also working with the PT2 for lan. (Those are the only ones I’ve tested so far).

Or just wait for the patch and download it with another device, copy it to a Micro SD Card and use that to install the items on your tablet.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
You can also use internet tethering from your phone via cable.
There's a guide on the wiki for Android and iOS.
You will need a usb-c to your phone connector to do it.

Most likely updates on drivers will come from the update tool, so just connect to internet with alternate method.
Also to install a browser if you don't want the pre-installed anglefish, install any with pacman or discover from the repos.
Or manually, if it's not there.
(06-11-2023, 10:33 AM)dachalife Wrote: Hi LRP,

If you really need WiFi now, you could use: USB OTG adapter, hama part #00200311 & tp-link AC1300; I can confirm they are working & if you have one, the PBP dock is also working with the PT2 for lan. (Those are the only ones I’ve tested so far).

Or just wait for the patch and download it with another device, copy it to a Micro SD Card and use that to install the items on your tablet.

Hi, after reading your posts that the tp-link AC1300 worked with the pinetab2 (and because it was cheaper than any on the short list recommended by the wiki), I ordered one. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be recognized (no indicator lights go on) by the Pinetab, or any of the linux devices I have tried it with.

I see that actually there are multiple models of adapter named "TP-Link AC1300". One that is simply a dongle, one with a single large antenna, one with two antennae (which isn't really a dongle), and one with a kind of broad, flat, flip-over antenna.
Which one is working for you?
(06-12-2023, 10:01 AM)Purple_Illusion Wrote: Hi, after reading your posts that the tp-link AC1300 worked with the pinetab2 (and because it was cheaper than any on the short list recommended by the wiki), I ordered one. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be recognized (no indicator lights go on) by the Pinetab, or any of the linux devices I have tried it with.

I see that actually there are multiple models of adapter named "TP-Link AC1300". One that is simply a dongle, one with a single large antenna, one with two antennae (which isn't really a dongle), and one with a kind of broad, flat, flip-over antenna.

if you still have the packaging or receipt for the tp-link, the model number should be listed. you may just need to install drivers to get it working. i got my tp-link tu2b wifi/bt working by installing drivers from the AUR.
Hi,

I am using tp-Link p/n: 0152502322, (AC1300 High Gain Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter) with hama (USB OTG Adapter) p/n: 00200311.

Plugged it in while the PT2 was off, booted up and had WiFi; only had to configure the conection settings.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
(06-12-2023, 10:10 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-12-2023, 10:01 AM)Purple_Illusion Wrote: Hi, after reading your posts that the tp-link AC1300 worked with the pinetab2 (and because it was cheaper than any on the short list recommended by the wiki), I ordered one. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be recognized (no indicator lights go on) by the Pinetab, or any of the linux devices I have tried it with.

if you still have the packaging or receipt for the tp-link, the model number should be listed. you may just need to install drivers to get it working. i got my tp-link tu2b wifi/bt working by installing drivers from the AUR.

Thanks for the reply! I was able to install drivers on my other linux devices and got it working there.
Initial attempts at installing drivers on the pinetab2 did not succeed, but maybe that is a topic for another thread.

(06-12-2023, 11:15 AM)dachalife Wrote: Hi,

I am using tp-Link p/n: 0152502322, (AC1300 High Gain Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter) with hama (USB OTG Adapter) p/n: 00200311.

Plugged it in while the PT2 was off, booted up and had WiFi; only had to configure the conection settings.

Thanks!

That looks like the Archer T3U Plus? I have tp-Link p/n: 0152502265, (AC1300 Mini Wireless MU-MIMO USB Adapter) Archer T3U

---
Anyways, I tried it again and it works just as you described.
Not sure what changed. Perhaps it was the updates I installed on a wired connection?
(06-07-2023, 04:55 PM)LRP Wrote: It was with much anticipation that I awaited my Pinetab 2. Just arrived. Hardware feels solid. Screen is terrific but…

When I ordered, I didn’t understand that it’s not yet ready for prime time. I won’t be able to use it until I have wifi. Checked recommended adapters, but they don’t seem to have USB C adaptors. Cable + clumsy adaptor just won’t work for me.

I couldn’t find a browser anyway, nor could I see how to bring up a bash terminal.

So… questions:

1. Any projections when wifi driver will be available and stable?
2. How will I install when available?
3. Browser— will I need to download one once wifi is installed?
4. MOST IMMEDIATELY HELPFUL— Can I launch a bash terminal and if so, how?

I do much look forward to happy days on the Pinetab 2.

Many thanks,

LRP

You should have a USB Wifi adapter anyway if you are any kind of computer nerd. I'm using a TP-Link TL-WN725N which also works with BSDs. USB C to female USB A and there you go. 

I saw comments about USB tethering. I wanted to try that but my stupid ass carriers don't allow USB tethering even though the phones are capable of it. They do bluetooth tethering but that doesn't work yet on the PineTab 2. Suck.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Screen protector for PineTab 2 vatin 0 520 11-18-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: vatin
  PineTab 2 (arm64) thoughts and questions acruhl 7 2,912 09-01-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  PineTab 2 Dead Screen Kramey 16 4,761 08-12-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Kramey
  pinetab 2 not booting ajhiii070 5 1,812 08-07-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: r.aliaskarov
  does the pinetab "just worK"? averageconsumer445 19 4,572 07-15-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Pinetab2 without Wifi a comfort extra? Schlucker 8 3,119 07-14-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Pinetab-V shipping Status? jfstepha 6 2,395 07-12-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ChromaticHamster
  No WiFi or Ethernet on vanilla PineTab 2 from the factory? SmittyWerbenyegermanjenson 6 2,306 06-06-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
Star Looking for a Pinetab [EU] Glenn 2 2,646 01-24-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Louis
  Looking to buy a PineTab Yair22 2 2,521 01-24-2023, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Louis