USB hard drive
(07-22-2016, 06:30 AM)montero65 Wrote: Piner, check out this thread, it discussed the same issue.
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=783

I am using the 2TB WD Passport myself, and it kept shutting down the board.  I ended up buying a powered hub, based on the discussion in that thread.  Just made it a lot easier, and have had zero problems since.

Thanks for pointing to the thread!
Opens up another good option for consideration. Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Board: Pine A64+ 2GB board.
MicroSD: Samsung Evo/+ 32/64GB
The USB ports on the Pine have self-resetting current limiters set at 500mA that make them standard compliant and protect the board from over-current. Most mechnical drives need a lot more than that to start up or seek, some come with a double USB plug where you can power the drive from two ports, but for most you will need an external power supply/powered hub.
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
Hello,

I've tried a tone of power supplies and truth to be told, I haven't had issues with reboots or brownouts.

However, I try to keep a 4TB USB drive (Seagate) permanently attached to the board and although it works more or less reliably, I get occasional clicking sounds. I use a dual usb Y cable to power the drive from both USB ports and have measured the current the drive draws. It never exceeds 550mA according to my charge doctor so, I guess it's not consumption the problem here rather than voltage drop.

When the board starts and powers the drive the voltage on the USB ports drops severely (4.65-4.75V - smetimes it goes even lower...) while when the drive reads or writes, I get a voltage on both USB ports of around 4.80V. On teh other hand, when the drive is in standby mode, volatge ranges between 5 and 5.09V.

As I already said, I have tried many power supplies with similar results. I even tried official raspberry pi 3 power supply (5V/2.5A). The best that I have found is a Samsung Tab's PSU rated at 5.1/2A. This seems to be the most stable of all.

I have also powered the board via the Euler bus but I haven't noticed significant voltage rise on the ports that feed the drive.

I'm now considering trying Lenovo's official charger for tablets which provides 5.2V in 2A.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Original-...21206.html

Do you think this will help with my issue? Any suggestions?

many thanks
(10-07-2016, 01:21 PM)g_t_j Wrote: As I already said, I have tried many power supplies with similar results. I even tried official raspberry pi 3 power supply (5V/2.5A). The best that I have found is a Samsung Tab's PSU rated at 5.1/2A. This seems to be the most stable of all.

I have also powered the board via the Euler bus but I haven't noticed significant voltage rise on the ports that feed the drive.

I'm now considering trying Lenovo's official charger for tablets which provides 5.2V in 2A.

many thanks

Does your pine64 board have a jumper on it for BATT and DC in (it's near where the wifi module goes)? Can you make sure it's in the DC in position, otherwise the PMIC may indeed current limiting the output to the USB ports. It would also explain why you're not seeing any voltage change when powering via microUSB and Euler. I suspect your drive is not getting the current it wants, as my external 1TB drive will draw in excess of 600ma when spinning up, and if the jumper is in the batt position, the PMIC is providing power to the USB ports, and current limits, which is what causes the clicks, as the hard drive isn't getting the current it needs to fully spin the hard drive platters up to speed. It it continues to be a nuisance, it may be easier to simply use a USB hub with external power pack, and you can use that to power both the pine64 board and the USB hard drive.
(10-07-2016, 07:22 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 01:21 PM)g_t_j Wrote: As I already said, I have tried many power supplies with similar results. I even tried official raspberry pi 3 power supply (5V/2.5A). The best that I have found is a Samsung Tab's PSU rated at 5.1/2A. This seems to be the most stable of all.

many thanks

Does your pine64 board have a jumper on it for BATT and DC in (it's near where the wifi module goes)? Can you make sure it's in the DC in position, otherwise the PMIC may indeed current limiting the output to the USB ports. It would also explain why you're not seeing any voltage change when powering via microUSB and Euler. I suspect your drive is not getting the current it wants, as my external 1TB drive will draw in excess of 600ma when spinning up, and if the jumper is in the batt position, the PMIC is providing power to the USB ports, and current limits, which is what causes the clicks, as the hard drive isn't getting the current it needs to fully spin the hard drive platters up to speed. It it continues to be a nuisance, it may be easier to simply use a USB hub with external power pack, and you can use that to power both the pine64 board and the USB hard drive.
Thank you very much for the helpful post.

I was not aware of the jumper you mentioned. Checked it and it's on DC position. 
I'll have to try that power supply which provides 5.2V.

Any other thoughts are welcome.
(10-10-2016, 02:10 PM)g_t_j Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 07:22 PM)pfeerick Wrote: Does your pine64 board have a jumper on it for BATT and DC in (it's near where the wifi module goes)? Can you make sure it's in the DC in position, otherwise the PMIC may indeed current limiting the output to the USB ports. It would also explain why you're not seeing any voltage change when powering via microUSB and Euler. I suspect your drive is not getting the current it wants, as my external 1TB drive will draw in excess of 600ma when spinning up, and if the jumper is in the batt position, the PMIC is providing power to the USB ports, and current limits, which is what causes the clicks, as the hard drive isn't getting the current it needs to fully spin the hard drive platters up to speed. It it continues to be a nuisance, it may be easier to simply use a USB hub with external power pack, and you can use that to power both the pine64 board and the USB hard drive.Thank you very much for the helpful post.

I was not aware of the jumper you mentioned. Checked it and it's on DC position. 
I'll have to try that power supply which provides 5.2V.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

USB current is not limited by the AXP PMIC, but by dedicated current limiters. The jumper does not have any effect on these.
(11-28-2016, 12:54 PM)StefanB Wrote: USB current is not limited by the AXP PMIC, but by dedicated current limiters. The jumper does not have any effect on these.

My apologies... StefanB is indeed correct. Unlike the PMIC on the Chip, the pine64 has dedicated current limiters (LPW5210) on each port, which appear from the schematic to be set to 0.68A. Why the external drive I tried when responding to the earlier did work with the jumper in the DC position, but not in the BAT position I can't explain (other than too much voltage sag since the input power was 5.2v, but the on-board stepped up power is probably just under 5.0v?).