Beginner help!
Hello,

I am a Linux newbie- decided the best way to learn how to use Linux is to dive in on both my laptopand phone. My Pinephone seems to be working after updating it (despite a persistent 'Modem shows no carrier" notification), though I'm hoping to find out how to:

1- Import contacts. Is there a template? I'm starting fresh so I'll be typing out my contacts into a csv (or what format do I use?) Not many so easier to type in manually.

2- Change the background. Is there a specific format/file type required?

3- Pin icons to the main screen. I've moved the application in question but I don't know to pin it there.

I used to think I was generally tech savvy (with mainstream smartphones) however based on the list above I've come to the conclusion I really am starting from scracth.

Thank you for your help in advance!
(02-01-2023, 05:01 PM)kvain Wrote: Hello,

I am a Linux newbie- decided the best way to learn how to use Linux is to dive in on both my laptopand phone. My Pinephone seems to be working after updating it (despite a persistent 'Modem shows no carrier" notification), though I'm hoping to find out how to:

1- Import contacts. Is there a template? I'm starting fresh so I'll be typing out my contacts into a csv (or what format do I use?) Not many so easier to type in manually.

2- Change the background. Is there a specific format/file type required?

3- Pin icons to the main screen. I've moved the application in question but I don't know to pin it there.

I used to think I was generally tech savvy (with mainstream smartphones) however based on the list above I've come to the conclusion I really am starting from scracth.

Thank you for your help in advance!

i wonder this wording "persistent", maybe it is those modem disappearings. which happens even if pinephone is physically functional. those can be prevented.

Code:
# example file location: /lib/udev/rules.d/98-prevent-modem-bugs.rules

# prevent modem disappearings
ACTION!="add", GOTO="eg25_end-edit"
SUBSYSTEM!="usb", GOTO="eg25_end-edit"
DRIVER!="usb", GOTO="eg25_end-edit"
ENV{DEVTYPE}!="usb_device", GOTO="eg25_end-edit"

# NOT Default attributes values
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/autosuspend_delay_ms}="3000"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/wakeup}="enabled"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/persist}="0"

LABEL="eg25_end-edit"
# end of modem disappearings

one guy is reporting issues in modem in every 10 minutes, which start to sound hardware issue.

you didn't tell user interface, mostly is it plasma or phosh? following is for phosh.

for #1, use evolution, you may want change screen scale to less than 175% (1.75x).

for #2, backgroung is changeable in u.i.. however, i noticed that there seems to be two backgrounds, maybe other background is changeable by copying a file. i don't know location now.

for #3, long press and "add to favorites".

i recommend that you disable automatic updates and use package manager in console to install software (depends on a distro). software is beta and continuous development.

you may want to check this one pre-emptively, sadly it is battery waster.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...frames+bug
Great thank you! I forgot to mention I'm using Plasma, Manjaro.

The phone screen keeps flickering non-stop unless it's plugged in (and then works sporatically, with the 'modem shows no carrier' notification every 5 minutes so I switched to my old phone for awhile).

This is what showed up when I tried to run the code for the modem disappearings- any suggestions?

bash: ACTION!=add,: command not found
bash: SUBSYSTEM!=usb,: command not found
bash: DRIVER!=usb,: command not found
bash: ENV{DEVTYPE}!=usb_device,: command not found
bash: ATTRS{idVendor}==2c7c,: command not found
The code snippet is a udev rules file, not a shell script. It should be written to a file named /lib/udev/rules.d/98-prevent-modem-bugs.rules and not run in a terminal nor executed as a shell script. Once you have saved the file, reboot your PinePhone and udev/systemd will read the rules in it.