Marked dropoff in forum activity
I get the resentment of social media, but refusing to try matrix? come on people, it's a chat protocol that is open source, decentralized and secure. It's what we've dreamed of while using IRC for decades. I absolutely despise social media and closed software like discord, but matrix is no more social media than IRC and you can host your own instance if you chose to, no telephone numbers need to be used, it has some of the most advanced security features and it's not proprietary like telegram. Telegram is also primarily a messenger/chat, you don't have to use it's social media features and all of the dev channels for the pinephone related stuff that I am taking part in have bridges running, so you can stay safe using matrix and still read messages from users who chose to connect via telegram, discord and also IRC. expecting the community to come to you is plain stubborn.

I also miss forums as they are a nice way to organize information in a more permanent way, but that is what wikis provide as well and a chaotic forum is no better than a chaotic chat channel. The 3D printing support for my latest printer (ratrig v-core 3) is discord only, guess how fun that is... spoiler: no fun at all, discord is a privacy nightmare. so I don't hang around there, just join when I am in dire need for information, but I have gotten used to using the search and it feels similar to what forum searches are like: you get a bunch of results and have to read a thread in order to determine the usefulness of those results. on forums this usually has me wondering why the hell topics are not removed that contain no answers at all or have never found the solution to an issue (or have completely been derailed by some mansplaining FOSS bros while completely ignoring the OPs question) and you have to wade through a huge pile of empty crap before you can find out something useful. Searching chats surprisingly yields more immediate answers. Like I said, I had to get used to it, but rather than posting a question on a forum and waiting days or weeks, chat has all these people seeing your question right away and the answers come in quite quickly. And if you have follow up questions, people are already on the case and can respond immediately.

Just give it a try with matrix, what do you have to lose? no selfies, phone numbers or accounts bound to email addresses involved. You can even use a cli client like gomuks if a GUI makes you feel like you are not elite enough and if you can stand to run software written in go, but if that is too newfangled, noone is keeping you from writing your own client in FORTRAN Wink

Messages In This Thread
Marked dropoff in forum activity - by tckosvic - 04-09-2022, 10:28 AM
RE: Marked dropoff in forum activity - by fxc - 04-09-2022, 05:52 PM
RE: Marked dropoff in forum activity - by lot378 - 04-14-2022, 06:38 AM
RE: Marked dropoff in forum activity - by brb78 - 04-14-2022, 07:35 PM
RE: Marked dropoff in forum activity - by lot378 - 04-15-2022, 06:12 PM
RE: Marked dropoff in forum activity - by lot378 - 04-16-2022, 04:12 PM
RE: Marked dropoff in forum activity - by grinzie - 04-19-2022, 11:09 AM
RE: Marked dropoff in forum activity - by TRS-80 - 04-30-2022, 08:17 PM
RE: Marked dropoff in forum activity - by xnopasaranx - 05-01-2022, 07:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has this forum resulted in changes to new pinephonero? tckosvic 4 2,529 05-05-2022, 01:41 PM
Last Post: zetabeta