Why the price increase over Pinebook Pro?
Why is PinePhone Pro almost twice as expensive as Pinebook Pro? They both have very similar hardware, so I don't understand this big price difference. Pinebook Pro actually has a much larger screen and battery, so it would make sense for the laptop to be a more expensive device. We can see a similar thing when we compare the price of regular PinePhone and regular Pinebook.

Current prices:
Pinebook Pro - $219.99
PinePhone Pro - $399.00

Pinebook - $99.99
PinePhone - $149.99
I appreciate your question, since value is important and the Pinebook Pro does seem like it has a better price point. It is also seems like it is more certain to function in the way that a consumer would desire.

I am not an expert, I am just waiting on getting my first Pinephone. I can give a bit of information based on my own research into this product.

The screen on the phone is touch sensitive and the system supports that screen as an input. On most computers this option adds quite a bit to the price. The durable glass on top of that screen is proprietary and expensive, so it too adds to the cost.

Retail before shipping, for the modem chip that allows it to be a phone is $79. Getting this all down to a small form factor is also expensive.

While it is possible to put together a phone in some market places in China, phone parts are crazy proprietary in most cases.

Consider every extra penny you spend here a donation to a cause. I bought mine with the hopes that it will be able to function as my phone for years to come. If that does not pan out, I will still feel like the money I spent was part of something important.
(01-22-2022, 01:50 PM)beta-user Wrote: Why is PinePhone Pro almost twice as expensive as Pinebook Pro? They both have very similar hardware, so I don't understand this big price difference.

Because neither the Pinebook or Pinebook Pro were built again recently, so the price is not adjusted to post-COVID times with shipping and parts shortages. Also both the PinePhone devices are relatively mature now and as a result they charge a more mature price as non-developers start to buy them.

(01-22-2022, 01:50 PM)beta-user Wrote: Pinebook Pro actually has a much larger screen and battery, so it would make sense for the laptop to be a more expensive device.

It's not just size, but also pixel density. The PinePhones are also touchscreen.

(01-22-2022, 01:50 PM)beta-user Wrote: We can see a similar thing when we compare the price of regular PinePhone and regular Pinebook.

Again, there has not been another run of the Pinebook since the original. I don't suspect they will ever be able to do another $100 run ever again.

The Pinebook's are also really under-powered and need some attention. I personally think they should adjust it to accept a module so that future upgrades are possible.
(01-22-2022, 07:54 PM)Otter Wrote: The screen on the phone is touch sensitive and the system supports that screen as an input. On most computers this option adds quite a bit to the price. The durable glass on top of that screen is proprietary and expensive, so it too adds to the cost.

Retail before shipping, for the modem chip that allows it to be a phone is $79. Getting this all down to a small form factor is also expensive.

That makes sense and it could explain the price difference between original PinePhone and Pinebook, because it was only $50. In case of pro models it's $180, so the amount increased by $130. Maybe it could be explained by PinePhone Pro having a better screen, but I'm not sure if screens are that expensive.

(01-22-2022, 08:23 PM)barray Wrote: Because neither the Pinebook or Pinebook Pro were built again recently, so the price is not adjusted to post-COVID times with shipping and parts shortages.

That is a good point. We will have to wait for when they start producing them again to have a more accurate comparison.

(01-22-2022, 08:23 PM)barray Wrote: Also both the PinePhone devices are relatively mature now and as a result they charge a more mature price as non-developers start to buy them.

I hope that is not true, because Pine did nothing to improve the software. It was done by the community for free.

(01-22-2022, 08:23 PM)barray Wrote: It's not just size, but also pixel density. The PinePhones are also touchscreen.

That could explain it, but I'm not sure if a 6" touch screen can be that much more expensive than a 14" screen without touch.
(01-23-2022, 08:58 AM)beta-user Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 08:23 PM)barray Wrote: Also both the PinePhone devices are relatively mature now and as a result they charge a more mature price as non-developers start to buy them.

I hope that is not true, because Pine did nothing to improve the software. It was done by the community for free.

It was done by the community but in return the developers and other early adopters got the phone at a discounted price.