Porting android app to PP
What would be the easiest way to port an andorid app to phosh?
There is no easy way to port an android app. The best path to take depends on how the Android app was made. Really you'd have to port/rebuild the app for Linux in general using a framework like Libhandy. However, you could also look into Waydroid to play the Android App as is.
(09-29-2021, 02:36 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: There is no easy way to port an android app. The best path to take depends on how the Android app was made. Really you'd have to port/rebuild the app for Linux in general using a framework like Libhandy. However, you could also look into Waydroid to play the Android App as is.

I am talking about 100% open source apps to port, waydroid is a virus no thanks.
(09-29-2021, 03:49 PM)user641 Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 02:36 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: There is no easy way to port an android app. The best path to take depends on how the Android app was made. Really you'd have to port/rebuild the app for Linux in general using a framework like Libhandy. However, you could also look into Waydroid to play the Android App as is.

I am talking about 100% open source apps to port, waydroid is a virus no thanks.
https://docs.waydro.id/development/compi...sed-images
https://github.com/waydroid/

Ok I'll take the bait. In what way is the 100% open source project Waydroid (made almost specifically for the pinephone) a virus?

My answer is unchanged. If you used an engine to make your android app, you're out of luck. If it's open source, use the source code as a reference to rebuild it using linux libraries like GTK and Libhandy.
(09-30-2021, 09:57 AM)gamerminstrel Wrote:

Ok I'll take the bait. In what way is the 100% open source project Waydroid (made almost specifically for the pinephone) a virus?

My answer is unchanged. If you used an engine to make your android app, you're out of luck. If it's open source, use the source code as a reference to rebuild it using linux libraries like GTK and Libhandy.

that's what it was just a bait, I mean having to install almost 2GB just to run maybe one or two andoird apps...and in my opinion it looses the sense of using a linux phone.
(09-30-2021, 03:49 PM)user641 Wrote:

that's what it was just a bait, I mean having to install almost 2GB just to run maybe one or two andoird apps...and in my opinion it looses the sense of using a linux phone.

Well, your options are either to make one from scratch or use Waydroid. Also, not cool to disrespect an open source project built to make PinePhone users lives easier by calling it a virus. A lot of people put a lot of hard work into it so maybe show a bit of respect, or at the very least keep your toxic opinions to yourself.
(10-07-2021, 09:03 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:

Well, your options are either to make one from scratch or use Waydroid. Also, not cool to disrespect an open source project built to make PinePhone users lives easier by calling it a virus. A lot of people put a lot of hard work into it so maybe show a bit of respect, or at the very least keep your toxic opinions to yourself.

You are right about my opinion on waydroid, I am sorry for that. I am really thankfull for all the effort people put on building wonderful things for the community, even if I don't like something.
(10-11-2021, 10:35 AM)user641 Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 03:49 PM)user641 Wrote: I am talking about 100% open source apps to port, waydroid is a virus no thanks.

You are right about my opinion on waydroid, I am sorry for that. I am really thankfull for all the effort people put on building wonderful things for the community, even if I don't like something.

All's good, 99% of people on the internet refuse to admit they have ever done anything wrong or say sorry for anything so it is appreciated that you do that. We all have our opinions. Also, for what it is worth, if you want a signal client you can use axolotl which is ine AUR, https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/axolotl-bin/
(10-11-2021, 11:06 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(10-11-2021, 10:35 AM)user641 Wrote:
(09-30-2021, 09:57 AM)gamerminstrel Wrote: Ok I'll take the bait. In what way is the 100% open source project Waydroid (made almost specifically for the pinephone) a virus?

All's good, 99% of people on the internet refuse to admit they have ever done anything wrong or say sorry for anything so it is appreciated that you do that. We all have our opinions. Also, for what it is worth, if you want a signal client you can use axolotl which is ine AUR, https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/axolotl-bin/
Thanks for your message, actually it is not signal I am trying to use, but a bitcoin wallet with lightning network capabilities.