Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?
1. Do you use the Pinephone as your daily driver?

Yes, my iphone died a month after I got it last fall and I've worked around the missing functionality using shell scripting, open source and community maintained services, or just going without.

2. If yes: What distribution do you use?

PostMarket OS which was what it shipped with, I'm playing with using kexec to do upgrades from a ramdisk. IMO there's little reason to change the distro unless what you're running is exceptionally bad.

3. Which desktop environment/interface do you use?

FVWM. It's the same desktop environment I've used since my first laptop when I was 10 so I already have a nice fvwm2rc.

5. Have you been able to add the missing functionality through third party applications or customization?
4. Does the interface offer the basic functionality you need or is something missing?
6. Which customization did you apply to make the pinephone meet your expectations towards a daily driver?

Yes. I had to disable pointer style focus since that doesn't work well on touch screens. It looks like it would be hard to use but all of the window management commands (close, move, resize etc.) are in the root menu so you never have to be precise. I use Mate's theme manager to enable the older gtk2 theme that had thicker scrollbars.

I wrote a short shell script for alarm clocks
I already use emacs for calendaring
I use jmp.chat for mms and connect to my xmpp service via dino. I would recommend everyone do that as it gives you a lot more freedom with your OS. Especially if you live somewhere with bad cell coverage since it means all your messages go over the internet.
I have a separate OpenRC runlevel that inherits from default and adds a service that runs rtcwake in a while loop. This way I can get text message, email, and alarm clock notifications while the phone is locked without significantly compromising the battery life. This is toggled on and off using a short shell script called by acpid when I press the lock button on the side of the phone.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - by swiley - 07-13-2021, 05:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone won't boot. spha 13 3,034 2 hours ago
Last Post: Richy_T
  Pinephone boot. Richy_T 5 230 9 hours ago
Last Post: Richy_T
  eSIM on PinePhone just_a_q 4 2,763 05-14-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 9 966 05-03-2024, 10:09 AM
Last Post: laserpyramid
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 478 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 325 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,999 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 712 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,671 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 574 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh