Adding GPS
Please add GPS to the PineTime!

For millions of runners, bikers and other athletes, there's no privacy respecting (open source) GPS-enabled fitness watch to handle the fitness data (e.g. gps tracks). PineTime could be the first.

To my knowledge, every major GPS-enabled fitness watch manufacturer (Garmin, Suunto, Polar etc.) requires a propriatary mobile app for data transfer (over bluetooth). They are also forcing users into their closed and hackable cloud services to store the sensitive fitness/location data. I store my fitness data locally. This is why I still use old USB devices, but these get harder and harder to use due to abandoned usb drivers. I'm also on Linux which is unsupported (Currently I'm using a Windows 7 virtual machine to transfer my data, not exaclty a practical or future proof solution).

Since runners don't want to carry a heavy smartphone, adding a GPS to the PineTime would bring a privacy respecting alternative.

I've read the hardware is unlikely to change, but I just wanted to mention the importance of this.

Messages In This Thread
Adding GPS - by kessel - 02-16-2021, 12:11 PM
RE: Adding GPS - by wibble - 02-16-2021, 04:19 PM
RE: Adding GPS - by kessel - 02-17-2021, 12:56 PM
RE: Adding GPS - by danielt - 02-17-2021, 04:43 AM
RE: Adding GPS - by kessel - 02-17-2021, 03:40 PM
RE: Adding GPS - by LinuxSBC - 04-12-2021, 08:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adding Gyrometer KotKot77 4 5,499 02-16-2021, 05:59 AM
Last Post: Avamander