Help with restoring SPI
Hi,
I messed up my spi and found solutions on bypassing the spi but it doesn't seem to work. I flashed the pinebook pro spi image by accident. On the rockpro64 wiki, it states you could jump pins 23-25. It doesn't appear to do anything. The white light does not appear. I currently am trying to boot from emmc which should be default boot unless that has changed...
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
(01-30-2021, 09:46 PM)Mangled Wrote: Hi,
I messed up my spi and found solutions on bypassing the spi but it doesn't seem to work. I flashed the pinebook pro spi image by accident. On the rockpro64 wiki, it states you could jump pins 23-25. It doesn't appear to do anything. The white light does not appear. I currently am trying to boot from emmc which should be default boot unless that has changed...
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
I read in another post that emmc cards have problems with boot. That could be my issue. I'll have to try microsd.
Yup, I have yet to find a "current" release (with a 5.x kernel) that supports the RockPro64 eMMC. Stick to an SDcard while trying to recover and remove the eMMC.

Pretty sure you will still need to jumper/disable the SPI.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(02-01-2021, 04:07 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: Yup, I have yet to find a "current" release (with a 5.x kernel) that supports the RockPro64 eMMC. Stick to an SDcard while trying to recover and remove the eMMC.

On the uboot github page, they recommend the following:
Quote:In this case, you can [color=var(--color-text-link)]temporarily disable SPI by bridging pins 23 (SPI CLK) and 25 (GND) on the Pi-2 Bus header. This will disable SPI and let you boot from eMMC or SD card; you can then interrupt U-Boot by pressing a key on the serial console at the "Hit any key to stop autoboot" prompt, remove the bridge between pins 23 and 25, and then enter:[/color]
Code:
sf probe
sf erase 0 400000

to erase the SPI flash, so it won't be used to boot.

From the looks of it, a serial console is required. Was anyone able to get this done without one?
I thought in the Ayufan scripts there was an option to reactivate SPI from Linux: a lot of his RockPro64 stuff is under his Rock64 names/directories. I am not in front of my RockPro today but there are a whole bunch of his scripts under /usr/ somewhere - could be worth having one of his (4.4 kernel) releases on your SDcard.

ps - I have never had a serial cable for a console.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(02-01-2021, 01:30 PM)Mangled Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 04:07 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: Yup, I have yet to find a "current" release (with a 5.x kernel) that supports the RockPro64 eMMC. Stick to an SDcard while trying to recover and remove the eMMC.

On the uboot github page, they recommend the following:
Quote:In this case, you can [color=var(--color-text-link)]temporarily disable SPI by bridging pins 23 (SPI CLK) and 25 (GND) on the Pi-2 Bus header. This will disable SPI and let you boot from eMMC or SD card; you can then interrupt U-Boot by pressing a key on the serial console at the "Hit any key to stop autoboot" prompt, remove the bridge between pins 23 and 25, and then enter:[/color]
Code:
sf probe
sf erase 0 400000

to erase the SPI flash, so it won't be used to boot.

From the looks of it, a serial console is required. Was anyone able to get this done without one?

I figured out what my issue was. I have an external USB hub with a power supply of its own. It seems to interfere with the boot (possibly affecting the voltage). I have to insert it in seconds after and it works just fine. I was able to boot with SD card finally and now can restore my spi settings.