Kinda upset at the lack of response to GBe issues
(09-01-2016, 06:10 PM)amc2012 Wrote: So even if the PINE folks said, "hey guys, we know there's an issue - if you have a non working board, send it back to us and we'll test it and send you out a working one if we see the issue," how many people would take them up on it? According to your inference, maybe .005%?

That was just one of the purposes of the poll; frankly.  So far the numbers are actually:

19 / 38000+  =   .0005

So, we're talking about .05%  ( not a whopping margin ).  So, it may be that Pine Inc, would be willing to replace a handful of boards for the people severely impacted ( knowing that the number isn't going to be 2,000 );  I mean we're talking about less than 2 dozen .  I want to make clear something that waldo and I straightened out on the irc tonight... I am not minimizing this problem, I'm merely trying to place this problem in perspective while we are trying to fix it. We are going to get to the bottom of this, sooner or later.

To add to the discussion a bit,  I was looking at the schematic again and noticed ( although out-of-date ) that there are several mods that are possible (resistors & caps) depending on which PHY was installed. There was a parts shortage and another vendor was used ( another PHY ) ; what if the mods on the board are for 8211D, but the PHY is an RTL8211E ?  Would the mismatch cause this difficulty ?  The schematic notes that there are five (5) chips that were employed:

RTL8211CN  RTL8211D  RTL8211E  RTL8201FN  RTL8201EN

Hopefully the poll data will help to narrow this a bit;  and over time , as impacted users file in , we'll know more than we do today.  We have made progress in documenting the problem, isolating the impact cases, logging the hardware, and experimenting with possibilities; we have made progress in knowing what it IS NOT... and we have made some significant progress in understanding the impact scenarios.  We are going to get to the bottom of this, sooner or later.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kinda upset at the lack of response to GBe issues - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 09-01-2016, 08:18 PM