Why a zoo of distributions with different features?
This may be a n00b question but I am slightly puzzled about this:

I assume - in my naivety - that the Linux kernel abstracts away all hardware details from a distributions system services and applications. Thus, if there already is a kernel for the Rockchip 3399 platform, why is it that there are competing efforts (default mrfixit Debian 9 vs. ayufan Ubuntu 18) where the hardware support is not identical?

I would assume every distribution is supposed to work exactly the same in terms of hardware support as long as you put the same kernel underneath. Where am I going wrong?

Also, what is the main challenge to port the up-to-date arm64 Linux kernel to the rk3399 platform? I would have assumed the vanilla kernel is missing device drivers that are specific to the rk3399 board or the Pinebook Pro as a whole but could not these be added (either right into the kernel or as modules)?

Please understand this is not critique but simply me trying to get a better insight. So far I have only used Linux distributions but never worried about kernel versions etc...

Messages In This Thread
Why a zoo of distributions with different features? - by Firestorm - 11-18-2019, 06:05 AM