Where to start?
Linux desktops are something of a mystery to me - the last time I ran a full time Linux desktop was in 2009ish, and I’m sure there are more interesting options available now, more variety and so on. If I recall correctly, it was an Ubuntu setup, but pretty vanilla. I don’t remember which release, sorry!

So, being incredibly lucky to get in on the first batch (yay!), I’d like to try and get ahead of things, and try out some different options in a VM before getting actual hardware. The command line is natural home, from a few years of running Linux servers, so minimal gui is appealing. I3 with x11 or sway on Wayland look like good options - but keeping hardware accelerated graphics available is a must (Chromium / OpenGL etc). I’m at zero on what the implications are here, or even how the stack itself looks, building it up from scratch. 

What are the options? Could any of you recommend a minimal build / distro to play with in a vm that might tick some of these boxes, that might be close to steps taken on actual pbp hardware? Thanks!

editing in some resources as I find them:

https://a3nm.net/blog/wayland.html - experience with wayland / sway (thanks @hmuller )
quote from @Luke :
> <lukasz> hmuller the little I tested wayland I must say performance was MUCH better than X11 on the RK3399. I cannot remember the reason why, but it was discarded as an option for the default build

Messages In This Thread
Where to start? - by dazld - 08-16-2019, 12:32 PM
RE: Where to start? - by tophneal - 08-16-2019, 01:21 PM
RE: Where to start? - by hmuller - 08-16-2019, 09:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Messed up, PBP does not start after write_spi_flash bnjmnhg 10 10,104 04-06-2020, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bnjmnhg
  Hibernate Manjaro -> NetworkManager doesn't start anymore Gerhard 8 7,593 01-11-2020, 09:42 PM
Last Post: tophneal