USB 3.0 Portable HDD - Suggestions
(01-10-2018, 06:09 AM)Luke Wrote: Hi, not sure what sort of performance you will get out of that WD drive. I managed to saturate the GbE using a barracuda 2TB drive, with read and write speeds holding stable in the ~90 MB/s region. I wouldn't expect that WD drive to perform quite as well, but then again you should ask yourself if you really need that sort of performance from your NAS on a daily basis. Perhaps the ~65-75MB/s transfer speeds (thats what I get from my regular WB 2.5" drive) will be enough for you and your use-case.

Thanks Luke.

My NAS will be cruising most of the time, just on the odd occasion when I want to copy something to or from it from my QNAP, I just want the performance to be an improvement over my Banana Pi 2 SATA performance of 35MB/s.  Having read some posts about JMicron controllers being the best of Armbian, but wanting to buy an off the shelf 2.5 " USB portable drive rather than separate case and drive, I wanted to be sure they perform well.

PS Not sure whether this should have been posted in the Hardware section of the forum. Happy to move it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: USB 3.0 Portable HDD - Suggestions - by Luke - 01-10-2018, 06:09 AM
RE: USB 3.0 Portable HDD - Suggestions - by thewonderer - 01-10-2018, 10:10 PM
RE: USB 3.0 Portable HDD - Suggestions - by Luke - 01-28-2018, 04:29 AM
RE: USB 3.0 Portable HDD - Suggestions - by Luke - 01-30-2018, 01:41 AM