Can i reinstall the os with an image using ubuntu? without having an sd card?
(08-21-2023, 09:44 AM)fxc Wrote: The vibration and the LED colors are coming from Tow-Boot, so there is already Tow-Boot on the phone installed. That means you don't have to worry about Tow-Boot or the RE button anymore.

On the eMMC it appears that you accidentally wrote the SPI installer image to the eMMC (which should not be done and is definitely a mistake).

The solution for this is to write a disk image to "sde" here, correct. Download an image, extract it from the archive and then flash it using:

Code:
sudo dd if=IMAGE.img of=/dev/sde bs=1M status=progress conv=fsync

In this example replace the "IMAGE.img" with the filename of the image (make sure the image is compatible with the PinePhone Pro and that you extracted it from the archive, check the file extension) and make sure your device is called /dev/sde.

Makes sense, almost. If tow-boot is installed, already and I dd image to /sde (including sde1-tow-boot) does that mean I am over-writing the towboot or does the image file account for this?
I am asking as my limited use of the "dd" command, I believe that it writes completely over the disk in this case... So I am assuming that it is writing partitions as well.
Just out of curiosity, which file or files within the img file is telling DD to write separate partitions. I would like to learn something, and just to be awkward, I sort of have to see it, or do it, for it to make sense. Kinda when I switched from Amiga's to DOS, just as Win 95 (I think). I would play around with all the dos commands. Change colour of text, created all these wonderful zip and unzip cmd files that I used on my games. I had a "ball of a time" doing all this, and I could see the results right away. If something went wrong, which it did, I unzipped a game and totally stuffed it up, as it uninstalled into it's main directory, then again into a sub-directory and then aborted as I had run out of HDD space (I only had a 110Meg at the time). Once I realised what was going on, easy fix.

It's the same here. I am keen on learning how things are done, then I can move up into bug hunting. Retirement has left me BORED SILLY, and solving problems and fixing a bit code is about all my brain wants to do.
I know I have a huge amount to learn first, so baby steps.
Thanks too FXC

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can i reinstall the os with an image using ubuntu? without having an sd card? - by Ctrl_Amiga_1070 - 08-21-2023, 04:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone pro boot: kernel image not aligned on 64k boundary kmerfeld 2 2,095 08-15-2022, 10:35 AM
Last Post: ajaso
  Reinstall factory system Emilio 3 2,572 06-02-2022, 01:20 AM
Last Post: magdesign
Sad Sim card issues For_lack_of_a_better_name 0 835 04-11-2022, 02:53 PM
Last Post: For_lack_of_a_better_name