DeskPi Super6C CM4 board with the SOQuartz
This is an interesting board, I note a few things though that make it less ideal for SOQuartz than for RPi:
  • no UART, which is very unfortunate since you'll most likely need this in some capacity
  • SD card on the bottom, which means its harder to access, which you have to do more on the SOQuartz unless you want to bother with Rockchip's USB download mode that I don't think we've documented on the wiki anywhere

It inspired me to draft up specifications for an "ideal" (but within the realm of possible) SOQuartz mini-ITX carrier board of my own though, which I'll leave here for comments: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/User:Counte...rier_Board

Highlights of suggested differences vs. the Super6C:
  • SATA for each board (removes the USB 3.0 capability from the monitor board)
    • Allows to use this as a distributed (node redundancy rather than block device redundancy) storage cluster (Ceph, GlusterFS) with an HDD cached by an SSD. Imagine 6 SOQuartzes, each with a 18 TB drive (like $315 each right now) and a 500GB TLC NVMe SSD (like $50 now) for caching with bcache. At 2x redundancy, that leaves you with 54 TB of SSD-cached storage for like $2190 for the storage and around $600 for SOQuartz + board + eMMC, or 36 TB if you want to be safe against two node failures at the same time.
  • Broken out UART, 5V, 3.3V, GND
  • Fan controller that can be steered over I²C or SPI, e.g. to have a daemon on the monitor board receiving temp readings from all the other boards over the network and set the speed that way
  • Only 1 HDMI port
  • A way for the monitor board to reset the other boards
  • A suggestion to put SD cards on the top layer
  • None of the RPi specific jumpers
  • No USB 2.0 hub to provide internal USB 2.0 pins (I thought that was a bit on the unnecessary side, but can be added into the specs if that's something people really care about)
  • A suggestion to have I²C broken out as STEMMA/QWIIC, maybe SPI too, for adding whatever sensing capabilities one might want in a server system (e.g. power monitoring, more temperature monitoring, case open sensing, access to a flash chip, etc.

This is obviously not a real product whether in development or not but a specification, but it's possible within the constraints of the interface, hardware and desired price point, so it's a bit beyond just playing ideas guy. I'll see if PINE64 itself is interested in picking this up or if the SOQuartz Blade covers this market for them already.

Occasional Linux Kernel Contributor, Avid Wiki Updater, Ask Me About Quartz64
Open Hardware Quartz64 Model A TOSLink Adapter
Pi-bus GPIO Extender For ROCKPro64 And Quartz64 Model A
Plebian GNU/Linux

Messages In This Thread
RE: DeskPi Super6C CM4 board with the SOQuartz - by CounterPillow - 07-26-2022, 03:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SOQuartz Model A baseboard Real-Time Clock stormwyrm 1 514 11-19-2023, 01:04 AM
Last Post: stormwyrm
  SOQuartz with Waveshare CM4 fan heatsink stormwyrm 1 464 11-18-2023, 01:35 PM
Last Post: stormwyrm
  SOQuartz BLADE 3D server rack screws agriffith2134 1 652 08-14-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: agriffith2134
  Soquartz-cm4io emmc with usb host louisvinc 6 2,105 02-14-2023, 09:50 PM
Last Post: louisvinc
  SOQuartz ATX Baseboard nixcamic 0 1,559 02-05-2022, 11:55 PM
Last Post: nixcamic
  Lamenting the fact that only 2 lanes of LVDS are exposed on SOQuartz evankrall 0 1,443 12-13-2021, 01:07 PM
Last Post: evankrall