Remove VLC's Red December Hat
(12-28-2021, 12:06 AM)ryo Wrote: They're doing this every year ever since VLC even came into existance.
But I don't really care about it, it's just a graphic that otherwise doesn't affect any of the functionality at all.

For those who look forward to the VLC Santa/Christmas hat it is a fun easter egg, after years of bug reports/requests the VLC team has added an easy way to turn it off when in the past they suggested choosing another video player if the hat was a problem.  I studied and worked in the US for a while and to me that red Santa hat in VLC and other mentions of Christmas are either advertisement to buy-buy-buy from October through December or a reminder of the sometimes loud and angry opposing cultural-religious arguments that always descended into their strict binary politics, so I prefer VLC's mention of Christmas disabled like I block other advertisements and distractions.  I suppose it differs on what Christmas means to an individual. I also don't like unexpected and non-functional changes, even small ones, to my UI; I expect that a tab with an orange cone is VLC, I recognize the icon a little slower in the several weeks a year with red in a tab's VLC icon, a few weeks later I am slightly distracted when the icon returns to normal. 

tldr, VLC is the best video player but I am slightly distracted every year by the Santa hat so upthread is how to disable it.

Messages In This Thread
Remove VLC's Red December Hat - by biketool - 12-20-2021, 03:20 AM
RE: Remove VLC's Red December Hat - by ryo - 12-28-2021, 12:06 AM
RE: Remove VLC's Red December Hat - by biketool - 12-28-2021, 03:08 AM
RE: Remove VLC's Red December Hat - by ryo - 12-28-2021, 11:07 PM