First sketches for a PineNote UI
(08-18-2021, 02:37 AM)barray Wrote: Awesome designs. I thought it would only be a matter of time before somebody suggests we write a new UI Smile The first screen (to me) looks very much like what already exists for mobile UIs and the second screen I would imagine to be an application (that might not even be eink exclusive).

Given how long it took to create a PinePhone UI that works - I would suggest to build upon this progress to avoid duplicated efforts and more delays. I imagine a *large* number of PinePhone apps would also work really well on the PineNote without any real changes at all.

I imagine this could be achieved with an intelligent display driver that updates the display only when required and applies some post-process filtering to make icons, etc, more e-ink friendly. As I understand it, the eink display is pretty capable and it might even be able to play video at 30 fps.

Also, I would suggest that in general, high contrast icons would benefit all projects anyway. Don't forget that a significant amount of the world is colour blind.

Thanks. Smile You're right, the second screen is a mockup of a notes application.

You are also right that the launcher looks just like a smartphone launcher, but in my head this device is very different to a smartphone. I agree that it would be great to use as much of the existing tech (and apps) as possible, but "just" applying the current os would not give us a great E-ink device. It would be a flickering grayscale PineTab. That might be what some envision, but to me the real selling point with e-ink + pen input is that it is close to instant. To achieve that feeling reMarkable writes directly to the frame buffer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the current PinePhone stack (with low contrast and UI animations) + post-process filtering would give us that.

Messages In This Thread
First sketches for a PineNote UI - by 1jss - 08-18-2021, 12:27 AM
RE: First sketches for a PineNote UI - by barray - 08-18-2021, 02:37 AM
RE: First sketches for a PineNote UI - by 1jss - 08-18-2021, 03:58 AM
RE: First sketches for a PineNote UI - by barray - 08-24-2021, 10:39 AM
RE: First sketches for a PineNote UI - by 1jss - 10-13-2021, 01:27 AM
RE: First sketches for a PineNote UI - by barray - 10-13-2021, 03:42 AM
RE: First sketches for a PineNote UI - by 1jss - 10-13-2021, 10:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How to write handwriting note app that not delay in android app for PineNote? wannaphong 0 1,806 10-30-2022, 07:29 AM
Last Post: wannaphong