Discussion of Moving Production Outside of China
Haven't read through *all* of this thread, but the first page gives me pause for thought. If people only look as far as...
Quote:We don't need China, and China doesn't need us.

... then we have a big problem in failing to think everything through. This COVID19 crisis should have woken people up to just exactly how dependent the world is on China. There were shortages of goods (not food) in Australia within only a couple of months of China's lockdowns, due to manufacturing slowdowns, or container ship quarantining. We were able to go into local retailers to purchase something, and they would say "none of our stores have any stock at the moment".

If people want to kid themselves, no skin off my nose. But that is all they are doing. Being as stupid as sourcing the raw components or parts from China, and then assembling it somewhere else so it doesn't have 'Made in China' would simply be an insult (to the Chinese, no less!) If however, the idea was to develop (from raw materials, not sourced from China) all the components, manufacture the PCBs, IC chips, and then assemble them, whilst paying what is considered a reasonable wage, then I would go along with that. However, I won't be paying the $1000 per board that would probably end up costing!

So what we should be doing is taking into account what another country/culture considers good working conditions. Not what *we* think are good working conditions (in our country/culture). Because it is not our right to dictate to others how they should treat their people. But it *is* our right (as individuals) to not support people being mistreated in accordance to that countries/cultures working conditions. If you want to change the country's working conditions, become a diplomat. Keep it in perspective, not through the rose tinted glasses! Wink

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussion of Moving Production Outside of China - by pfeerick - 08-08-2020, 05:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why no ePacket shipping from China? KNERD 4 1,240 06-29-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: poundinitiative
  Poll: Move production outside of China? KNERD 10 9,534 04-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Last Post: xalius