Need help updating comparison of the PinePhone vs Librem 5 specs
192g on my uncalibrated kitchen scales. That's phone with supplied screen protector, battery, back cover, SIM, no uSD and no additional case.

No tools required to replace the battery. There's a notch in one corner of the back cover for a fingernail, and a similar notch in the bottom of the battery to make removal easier. Remember to slide the battery slightly towards the top of the phone before lifting the bottom of the battery - this releases the bumps that stop the battery falling out as soon as you take the back cover off.

Any list of apps will be outdated by changes in the respective repository or app store - why not just point there instead?

On the innovations front you should probably check what was done with the OpenMoko GTA01 and GTA02 as they got there with several of them, and even then they arguably weren't first:
* bootable from uSD - I guess it depends where you draw the line. uBoot loaded from onboard NAND or NOR - one was the failsafe so you couldn't brick it, and the other could be updated. The kernel, rootfs etc. could be on internal flash partitions or uSD. uBoot had screen and hardware button access, so could be set up to provide a boot menu - I think at one point I had one OS on the internal flash and another 3 on different uSD partitions, with a shared data partition
* Multiple OS support - notably there was a NetBSD port as well as the many linux-based options. There were at least 10.
* No firmware blobs in the main filesystem - the Atheros firmware was in a PROM on the module and wasn't user-updateable. This kept FSF happy as it's now magically 'hardware', but left the owner stuffed when a bug was found in the firmware. This is the part of RYF that I profoundly disagree with - there's a firmware blob either way, and I want the freedom to update it if I want to.
* First convergence as PC - there wasn't much in the way of mobile interfaces at the time, so adapting desktop stuff to work on a small touchscreen was necessary. There were bits that people had done for the iPaq and early tablets.
* Lifetime software updates - at least I think that was the plan - in the end updates were there as long as the company was, and community support after that was possible because everything was open anyway.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need help updating comparison of the PinePhone vs Librem 5 specs - by wibble - 06-24-2020, 04:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  eSIM on PinePhone just_a_q 3 2,701 05-11-2024, 03:41 PM
Last Post: bam
  Pinephone boot. Richy_T 4 187 05-06-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Richy_T
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 9 939 05-03-2024, 10:09 AM
Last Post: laserpyramid
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 470 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 315 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 111,510 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,975 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 702 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,632 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 567 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh