PINE64
NVME not detected - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: NVME not detected (/showthread.php?tid=8268)

NVME not detected - VoxUnius - 11-09-2019

Guys, I've seen someone managed to get NVME working. My one doesn't work no matter what I do. I tried all possible OSes, checked the adapter in and out. No effect.

Does anyone know:
1. If it has to be a specific NVME card? My one is Samsung EVO 860, 250Gb.
2. If it's somehow related to the adapter problem? It thought the issue was only about the geometry and didn't affect functionality.

Cheers.

RE: NVME not detected - jhiesey - 11-09-2019

(11-09-2019, 08:29 PM)VoxUnius Wrote: Guys, I've seen someone managed to get NVME working. My one doesn't work no matter what I do. I tried all possible OSes, checked the adapter in and out. No effect.

Does anyone know:
2. If it's somehow related to the adapter problem? It thought the issue was only about the geometry and didn't affect functionality.

Cheers.

The Samsung EVO 860 is a SATA drive, not an NVMe drive at all. Yes, they use the same M.2 connector, but electrically they're different. So it's not compatible with the Pinebook Pro.

RE: NVME not detected - VoxUnius - 11-09-2019

(11-09-2019, 10:22 PM)jhiesey Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 08:29 PM)VoxUnius Wrote: Guys, I've seen someone managed to get NVME working. My one doesn't work no matter what I do. I tried all possible OSes, checked the adapter in and out. No effect.

Does anyone know:

Cheers.

The Samsung EVO 860 is a SATA drive, not an NVMe drive at all. Yes, they use the same M.2 connector, but electrically they're different. So it's not compatible with the Pinebook Pro.

Hmm. Okay. Thank you Smile

RE: NVME not detected - bcnaz - 11-10-2019

(11-09-2019, 11:04 PM)VoxUnius Wrote:

Does anyone know:

Cheers.

Besides that, so far it can only be used as a 'storage' not a boot drive.
 Though a recent email from Mrfixit says it 'may' be close to working as a boot drive. !

(11-09-2019, 11:04 PM)VoxUnius Wrote:

Does anyone know:

Cheers.

Besides that, so far it can only be used as a 'storage' not a boot drive.
 Though a recent email from Mrfixit says it 'may' be close to working as a boot drive. !

RE: NVME not detected - VoxUnius - 11-10-2019

Yeah, I know that. It should be possible to use it as a root device anyway. So far, I'm trying to compile a mainline kernel. Nothing works for now.