PINE64
keyboard problem - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: keyboard problem (/showthread.php?tid=8185)

Pages: 1 2

keyboard problem - romansvec - 11-04-2019

Just got new Pinebook Pro and after first testing I realized the laptop keyboard is so bad I cannot write on it. I have to press key couple of times to type 1 single character. It is impossible to use such keyboard. It seems to be HW issue as when I attached external keyboard it worked fine.

How can this be fixed?

RE: keyboard problem - bigCamel - 11-04-2019

(11-04-2019, 03:43 AM)romansvec Wrote: Just got new Pinebook Pro and after first testing I realized the laptop keyboard is so bad I cannot write on it. I have to press key couple of times to type 1 single character. It is impossible to use such keyboard. It seems to be HW issue as when I attached external keyboard it worked fine.

How can this be fixed?

Must be specific to your unit. On my unit the keyboard works just fine. Did you check if any key is stuck? IF not it might be a classical warranty case.

RE: keyboard problem - romansvec - 11-04-2019

(11-04-2019, 05:23 AM)bigCamel Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 03:43 AM)romansvec Wrote: Just got new Pinebook Pro and after first testing I realized the laptop keyboard is so bad I cannot write on it. I have to press key couple of times to type 1 single character. It is impossible to use such keyboard. It seems to be HW issue as when I attached external keyboard it worked fine.

How can this be fixed?

Must be specific to your unit. On my unit the keyboard works just fine. Did you check if any key is stuck? IF not it might be a classical warranty case.

nothing stuck it happens for most of the keys, so hopefully warranty case

RE: keyboard problem - tophneal - 11-04-2019

Confirmed issue. I had problems when trying to set my new password on initial login of the default Debian. My girlfriend noticed and pointed it out too, when one Chromium. Happens very sporadically, and not to any particular key, either. Seems to occur when typing past a certain speed.

RE: keyboard problem - fire219 - 11-04-2019

If you are having issues with the keyboard registering presses, and you're sure it's not just an unfamiliar keyboard, email pinebook@pine64.org about it.

RE: keyboard problem - perceg - 11-04-2019

(11-04-2019, 05:28 AM)romansvec Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 05:23 AM)bigCamel Wrote:

How can this be fixed?

nothing stuck it happens for most of the keys, so hopefully warranty case

Not specific to his/her unit unfortunately; I just got my Pinebook Pro today and have exactly the same problem.

RE: keyboard problem - Watercourse - 11-04-2019

I thought i had a similar problem... turned out i was somehow touching the touchpad while typing. Using Fn+F7 to disable the touchpad (or enable it) cleared it up 100%, so i'm conviced it was not mechanical or system related in my case. I'd much rather us a wireless mouse in any case.
I hope it's an easy fix for you(s). Given how much we were all looking forward to getting our new PBP's, it's easy to imagine the frustration.

RE: keyboard problem - perceg - 11-04-2019

(11-04-2019, 09:00 PM)Watercourse Wrote: I thought i had a similar problem... turned out i was somehow touching the touchpad while typing. Using Fn+F7 to disable the touchpad (or enable it) cleared it up 100%, so i'm conviced it was not mechanical or system related in my case. I'd much rather us a wireless mouse in any case.
I hope it's an easy fix for you(s). Given how much we were all looking forward to getting our new PBP's, it's easy to imagine the frustration.

Thank you Watercourse - that's what was causing it! I also stumbled upon the explanation at General Discussion on Pinebook Pro > "Key Presses Not Registering":

"The issue occurs when your thumb or edge of the palm makes contact with left or right tip of the trackpad when you type. Basically its a case of palm rejection firmware being stupid - instead of disabling the trackpad (so your cursor doesn't dance all over the place) it actually disables both the trackpad and the keyboard."

RE: keyboard problem - Arwen - 11-05-2019

Thank you all for the clear description of the problem, and work around.
I've added an entry for this last issue to the Trouble Shooting Guide;

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Keys not registering

As usual, feel free to correct, improve or comment, (good or politely bad).

RE: keyboard problem - Baslow - 11-05-2019

I've been experiencing the same problem. The Fn-F7 fix works well for uses involving extended typing but is very inconvenient in other situations, where it's necessary to switch frequently between typing and clicking (e.g., certain online forms and some password entry screens). I would rather not attach a mouse if I can avoid doing so -- I sometimes work on cramped surfaces.
Can anyone say what the prospects are of improved palm rejection in the near future?