PINE64
Tuning Rock64 - I need advices - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: ROCK64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on ROCK64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Thread: Tuning Rock64 - I need advices (/showthread.php?tid=5675)

Tuning Rock64 - I need advices - Danielsan - 02-08-2018

Hi guys,

I misunderstood the real capacity of this board, I was convinced it was slightly below the Odroid-XU4 but I was wrong, so now I would like to try pushing this board to its limits. I meant to use it with Lakka, so I am focusing on best performance available.

Right now the only thing I thought (but I haven't done yet) is check out the governor, I was thinking to set up it to "ondemand" or "performance" (mostly the latter). I would like also to enable the full GPU clock. General safe overclock it would be great but I haven't found any relevant info, it would be great if it is possible enable a safe overclock like the PI boards family. My cpu and gpu have a passive heat cooling.

Thanks in advance,

D.

RE: Tuning Rock64 - I need advices - Danielsan - 02-09-2018

No one willing to help me? :'(

RE: Tuning Rock64 - I need advices - Luke - 02-10-2018

It is possible to run the board at a higher clock. But last time I saw it done was back in the day when pre-production boards were in the dev evaluation period. The reason is simple, for the slight improvement in performance you have to handle much higher thermals. In short, the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. I remember fire219 running the board with a big heatsink and a fan to get the board stable at (IRRC) 1.5Ghz ... It just doesn't make much sense.

RE: Tuning Rock64 - I need advices - Danielsan - 02-11-2018

(02-10-2018, 01:59 AM)Luke Wrote: It is possible to run the board at a higher clock. But last time I saw it done was back in the day when pre-production boards were in the dev evaluation period. The reason is simple, for the slight improvement in performance you have to handle much higher thermals. In short, the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. I remember fire219 running the board with a big heatsink and a fan to get the board stable at (IRRC) 1.5Ghz ... It just doesn't make much sense.

Got it, by the way the governor is already set up on performance, isn't there anything more I can do to improve the performance?

RE: Tuning Rock64 - I need advices - Luke - 02-11-2018

(02-11-2018, 12:57 AM)Danielsan Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 01:59 AM)Luke Wrote: It is possible to run the board at a higher clock. But last time I saw it done was back in the day when pre-production boards were in the dev evaluation period. The reason is simple, for the slight improvement in performance you have to handle much higher thermals. In short, the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. I remember fire219 running the board with a big heatsink and a fan to get the board stable at (IRRC) 1.5Ghz ... It just doesn't make much sense.

Got it, by the way the governor is already set up on performance, isn't there anything more I can do to improve the performance?

At this point any major improvements will be achieved by improving drivers, etc.

RE: Tuning Rock64 - I need advices - elik745i - 03-15-2018

so how overclock can be done?