PINE64
Mounting Screws - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: ROCK64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on ROCK64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Thread: Mounting Screws (/showthread.php?tid=5204)

Mounting Screws - S265 - 10-02-2017

Just wondering how you guys mount your board? I tried to use some of the screws left over from PC motherboards. They were often supplied with a million screws for this or that. Anyway my smallest screws would not fit the tiny ROCK64. Even the small brass nuts for offsetting a motherboard from its surrounding case would not fit. Dare I say it but - can we enlarge the hole a tiny bit? Or is this a big no-no. Looking for ideas on this.

RE: Mounting Screws - MarkHaysHarris777 - 10-02-2017

(10-02-2017, 07:25 PM)S265 Wrote: Just wondering how you guys mount your board? I tried to use some of the screws left over from PC motherboards. They were often supplied with a million screws for this or that. Anyway my smallest screws would not fit the tiny ROCK64. Even the small brass nuts for offsetting a motherboard from its surrounding case would not fit. Dare I say it but - can we enlarge the hole a tiny bit? Or is this a big no-no. Looking for ideas on this.

3M machine screws (metric) will fit if you tap them in ( seriously ).  I am referring to machine tapping ( not a hammer ).

2M screws ( metric ) will be loose, but work well with washers and nuts.  Please see this link for an example using 3M screws ( metric )  tapped.

Shy

PS.   Please see this link for the same box with the 5v brushless fan mounter underneath.

PSS.  The 3M screws can be hand-tapped using the screw itself... hand driver only... be careful !

RE: Mounting Screws - S265 - 10-02-2017

(10-02-2017, 07:45 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 07:25 PM)S265 Wrote: Just wondering how you guys mount your board? I tried to use some of the screws left over from PC motherboards. They were often supplied with a million screws for this or that. Anyway my smallest screws would not fit the tiny ROCK64. Even the small brass nuts for offsetting a motherboard from its surrounding case would not fit. Dare I say it but - can we enlarge the hole a tiny bit? Or is this a big no-no. Looking for ideas on this.

3M machine screws (metric) will fit if you tap them in ( seriously ).  I am referring to machine tapping ( not a hammer ).

2M screws ( metric ) will be loose, but work well with washers and nuts.  Please see this link for an example using 3M screws ( metric )  tapped.

Shy

PS.   Please see this link for the same box with the 5v brushless fan mounter underneath.

PSS.  The 3M screws can be hand-tapped using the screw itself... hand driver only... be careful !

Thanks amigo! I think I can lay my hands upon a small tap and will give this a try

RE: Mounting Screws - dkryder - 10-03-2017

i use 2.5mm machine screw. they fit ok, not any serious problems. i have also used 2.5mm standoffs with 2.5mm machined screw male/female ends.