PINE64
Wifi/BT module with/without an antenna? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Pine A64 Hardware, Accessories and POT (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+---- Forum: Wifi/BT Module (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Thread: Wifi/BT module with/without an antenna? (/showthread.php?tid=324)

Wifi/BT module with/without an antenna? - lianaboy - 02-18-2016

Hi everybody,
just a quick question - does the Wifi/BT module contain an antenna? The Pine64 shown in the youtube videos has some kind of an antenna/wire.... Just wondering whether I should buy an external antenna with U.FL connector or it comes with the module... there is no info about it on the survey page...
BR,
Peter

RE: Wifi/BT module with/without an antenna? - Ghost - 02-18-2016

(02-18-2016, 01:59 AM)lianaboy Wrote: Hi everybody,
just a quick question - does the Wifi/BT module contain an antenna? The Pine64 shown in the youtube videos has some kind of an antenna/wire.... Just wondering whether I should buy an external antenna with U.FL connector or it comes with the module... there is no info about it on the survey page...
BR,
Peter

The WiFi/BT module does come with a short antenna wire, yes.

RE: Wifi/BT module with/without an antenna? - tllim - 02-18-2016

(02-18-2016, 03:50 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 01:59 AM)lianaboy Wrote: Hi everybody,
BR,
Peter

The WiFi/BT module does come with a short antenna wire, yes.
We use such design due to the wireless performance better than on-board PCB antenna but cost slight higher.

RE: Wifi/BT module with/without an antenna? - taros - 02-18-2016

The antenna is 15cm long.

Wifi/BT module with/without an antenna? - RaspiBit - 02-18-2016

Could the end piece of the antenna be sticked to the top piece of the acrylic enclosure with double sided tape? Would it have effect on the range?

RE: Wifi/BT module with/without an antenna? - tllim - 02-20-2016

(02-18-2016, 03:18 PM)RaspiBit Wrote: Could the end piece of the antenna be sticked to the top piece of the acrylic enclosure with double sided tape? Would it have effect on the range?

Yes it can. Try to get as "clear space" as possible for antenna and you will have good range.

RE: Wifi/BT module with/without an antenna? - Mr.T - 02-23-2016

(02-20-2016, 02:19 AM)tllim Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 03:18 PM)RaspiBit Wrote: Could the end piece of the antenna be sticked to the top piece of the acrylic enclosure with double sided tape? Would it have effect on the range?

Yes it can. Try to get as "clear space" as possible for antenna and you will have good range.

Does anyone know if the WiFi module sold on the website easily connects to the Pine computer? Do it yourself? Are any additional wires required?  Will it fit together inside one of the enclosures (the clear one)?

RE: Wifi/BT module with/without an antenna? - Ghost - 02-23-2016

(02-23-2016, 06:20 PM)Mr.T Wrote:
(02-20-2016, 02:19 AM)tllim Wrote:

Does anyone know if the WiFi module sold on the website easily connects to the Pine computer? Do it yourself? Are any additional wires required?  Will it fit together inside one of the enclosures (the clear one)?

The WiFi/Bluetooth module slots easily into place, you just push it on and you're done. No additional wires required. And yes, it will fit inside the enclosure (clear one) without problem.

RE: Wifi/BT module with/without an antenna? - Tarjei85 - 02-24-2016

Working on my Mario Enclosure for the PINE (in aluminium) I got to thinking about the signal strength. I added possibilities for external antenna. But will this have any impact on the signal strenght? Or can I just use the supplied antenna inside the aluminium box? It would look much smoother without the external antenna.