PINE64
Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Pine A64 Hardware, Accessories and POT (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot (/showthread.php?tid=1635)

Pages: 1 2

Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot - andymelton - 07-04-2016

Day 1

I am trying to get my new PINE64 board to boot up.

I downloaded the following image:
android-rooted-ver5.1.1-20160505-pine64-32GB

I used Win32 Disk Imager to put the IMG file onto a 32 GB microSD card.

I connected the Bluetooth/WiFi module to the PINE64 board. I then inserted the microSD card, connected an HDMI cable, connected a wireless mouse/keyboard dongle, and then connected a 5.0V (550 mA) power supply (an old BlackBerry charger). The red light on the board came on. An AllWinner screen appeared and then a PINE64 (white background) screen appeared. The device then powered off. I thought the USB keyboard/mouse dongle might be the problem so I disconnected it and tried again. Same sequence of events. I tried with the Bluetooth/WiFi module disconnected. No change.

I downloaded the following image:
android-ver5.1.1-20160505-pine64-32GB

Again, I used Win32 Disk Imager to put the IMG file onto the same 32 GB microSD card.

I re-connected the Bluetooth/WiFi module. The HDMI cable was still connected. I put the microSD card back into the board, connected the mouse/keyboard dongle, and then connected the same power supply. The red light on the board turned on, but nothing appeared on the screen. The screen stayed in standby mode. I disconnected the power cable I disconnected the USB keyboard/mouse dongle. Tried powering the board on again. Same issue. I disconnected the Bluetooth/WiFi module and re-connected the power supply. Again, no change.

In reading through the forums it appears as though Android and Remix images MUST be burned with the AllWinner Phoenix utility? I downloaded the android-ver5.1.1-20160505-pine64-phoenixCard image and burned it to the microSD card using the Phoenix utility. There was no change in results.

I purchased two boards, so I decided to try the second board. The display attached to the HDMI cable did activate (but nothing appeared on the screen) the first couple of tries. After subsequent tries the display would not come out of standby. I didn't attach the Bluetooth/WiFi add-on board to the second board.

I tried three USB cables. None would change the results.

I tried the Debian Mate image, no luck.

I have since tried "burning" the IMG files to the microSD card with Win32 Disk Imager,  the AllWinner Phoenix utility and even Linux Live USB Creator. No changes.

I have tried burning the IMG files via Win32 Disk Imager and Linux Live USB Creator with and without having extracted the IMG file prior.

Not sure if it matters but when I have extracted the IMG file I have used PeaZip.

Day 2

Before I went to bed last night I decided to write android-ver5.1.1-20160505-pine64-phoenixCard to the microSD card using Win32 Disk Image. I didn't extract the file. I just let the utility do it. Since it takes forever to write images to the card I went to bed. I got up this morning and was able to successfully boot the board with the image. I clicked on the Google Play store at which point I realized I didn't have the Bluetooth/WiFi module attached. I turned the board off.

Since I had gotten my second board to boot I decided to try the first board again. I already had it in the acrylic enclosure and the Bluetooth/WiFi module was already attached. Nothing. The display attached to the HDMI cable wouldn't even turn on.

I went back to the second board. I connected the WiFi/Bluetooth module (the same one I was using on the first board). Was able to get it to successfully startup again. I went into the settings to try to enable WiFi. It went to a white screen. After 5 minutes I decided that it had crashed.

I unplugged the power cable and reconnected it. The AllWinner screen appeared, then the PINE64 screen. Then the board turned off.

I have since been unable to get the board to produce any signs of booting on the display. The display no longer comes out of standby.

I have tried booting it without the Bluetooth/WiFi module. No change in results.

I though perhaps the image on the card became corrupted during the time I was able to get Android to startup. I re-imaged the card, but there has been no change.

RE: Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot - Boring - 07-04-2016

Hi Andy,

After reading that you used a 5V 0.55A PSU I stopped reading. So maybe you tried a different one.

But you should use a 5V 2A PSU at least with thick cores.

Hopes it helps

RE: Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot - DonFL - 07-04-2016

Definitely agree with Boring, first thing to do is remove that 1/2 amp adapter from the mix. Output voltage stability is just as critical, and while you may not be exceeding the current draw limitation of your adapter, you may be dropping far enough below the spec'd 5V output enough to create issues.

And to answer your other question, no, you don't need to burn images from the wiki/download pages with the Phoenix utility. I've used win32 disk imager for everything (debian, android, remix) with no issues.

RE: Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot - xalius - 07-04-2016

550mA is certainly not enough to power the Pine, my Pine draws about 600mA idling... you can easily get up to 1.5A under load with some things attached...

RE: Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot - DonFL - 07-04-2016

(07-04-2016, 12:19 PM)xalius Wrote: 550mA is certainly not enough to power the Pine, my Pine draws about 600mA idling... you can easily get up to 1.5A under load with some things attached...

Based on some very unscientific testing, I found that somewhere between 1 and 1.5A minimum seems to be the success threshold. I inadvertently used a 1A adapter when I booted remix for the first time, and spent way too much time scratching my head wondering why it wouldn't boot. It got me to doing some very unscientific testing, was able to boot all 3 OSs (debian, android, remix) with a 1.5A Pi adapter, and, of course, it does fine with a 2A supply. The 1A supply is hit or miss, depending on whats connected, the OS I'm booting (sort of surprising there..), etc.

I still do believe there is an voltage output stability factor involved here also, but its so easily avoided just by using a solid stable 2A adapter I'm not of the belief it warrants a lot of testing to shed light on a problem that is easily avoided.

RE: Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot - pfeerick - 07-05-2016

(07-04-2016, 12:27 PM)DonFL Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 12:19 PM)xalius Wrote: 550mA is certainly not enough to power the Pine, my Pine draws about 600mA idling... you can easily get up to 1.5A under load with some things attached...

Based on some very unscientific testing, I found that somewhere between 1 and 1.5A minimum seems to be the success threshold. I inadvertently used a 1A adapter when I booted remix for the first time, and spent way too much time scratching my head wondering why it wouldn't boot. It got me to doing some very unscientific testing, was able to boot all 3 OSs (debian, android, remix) with a 1.5A Pi adapter, and, of course, it does fine with a 2A supply. The 1A supply is hit or miss, depending on whats connected, the OS I'm booting (sort of surprising there..), etc.

I still do believe there is an voltage output stability factor involved here also, but its so easily avoided just by using a solid stable 2A adapter I'm not of the belief it warrants a lot of testing to shed light on a problem that is easily avoided.

If the pine64 is given a clean 5v supply, it needs an absolute minimum of 700ma to boot a linux image with HDMI and wifi/bt connected, with no other peripherals at all connected. As soon as you start adding a display into the mix, it will probably need a 1.5A power supply for it to be reliable. I'd just get myself a 5v 2A or better power supply as everyone else is recommending so you don't have to worry about it in the future.

RE: Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot - andymelton - 07-05-2016

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful! I'm more of a software person. I thought the 5V rating was sufficient.

I will allow you all time to facepalm.

I have switched to a USB charger (that plugs into the wall). For each port it can output 5V 2.5 A. I'm still having trouble getting it to boot, but, I am hoping it is just the image on the card. Re-writing the image now to try again.

RE: Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot - manthis - 07-05-2016

I'm having the same problem here. I received the board yesterday and tried to boot it up today. Unfortunately it's not working. I checked the power supply which is a 5V 2A. It should be sufficient so I don't think that's the problem. In using the hdmi port to display on an external screen for now but nothing is displayed on it. It seems to detect a connection but stays black and turns off after a little while. I have just tried the RemixOS 32Gb card they sent me with the board and its accessories. Could anyone help?

RE: Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot - Pepe - 07-05-2016

(07-05-2016, 02:17 PM)manthis Wrote: I'm having the same problem here. I received the board yesterday and tried to boot it up today. Unfortunately it's not working. I checked the power supply which is a 5V 2A. It should be sufficient so I don't think that's the problem. In using the hdmi port to display on an external screen for now but nothing is displayed on it. It seems to detect a connection but stays black and turns off after a little while. I have just tried the RemixOS 32Gb card they sent me with the board and its accessories. Could anyone help?

Try other OS. Try Android or Ubuntu

RE: Cannot get PINE64 boards to boot - manthis - 07-05-2016

OS won't change anything. I mean it is not a matter of OS since I should see the BIOS image of something without needing an OS but nothing is displayed.