PINE64
Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian (/showthread.php?tid=12047)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - dukla2000 - 09-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 07:10 AM)shulamy Wrote: ...
 the aur package is 1.2.0-1 so tomorow i'll try to change the PKGBUILD to the latest version and see if it works

That is all I did for an arch install - manually change the 1.2 PKGBUILD.

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - shulamy - 09-05-2022

(09-04-2022, 06:50 AM)Eugo Wrote: Going through motions here, to get this installed on Manjaro Phosh... what I found is that I need dpkg to be able to install a .deb file, but when I try to install that, it complains about two glibc related files missing. No idea how to get those (and why doesn't it find them by itself). Tried to install apt, and pacman doesn't find it.

Any Manjaro compatible package that would just install, or a pacman address?

read the comment in the aur package page

iit works in arch and in manjaro

ezik

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - Eugo - 09-05-2022

(09-04-2022, 07:10 AM)shulamy Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 06:50 AM)Eugo Wrote: Going through motions here, to get this installed on Manjaro Phosh... what I found is that I need dpkg to be able to install a .deb file, but when I try to install that, it complains about two glibc related files missing. No idea how to get those (and why doesn't it find them by itself). Tried to install apt, and pacman doesn't find it.

the aur package is 1.2.0-1 so tomorow i'll try to change the PKGBUILD to the latest version and see if it works

ezik

Here goes... I got this from dpkg, just like the first time:
Code:
Preparing to unpack axolotl_1.5.0-1_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking axolotl (1.5.0-1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of axolotl:
axolotl depends on libc6:arm64 (>= 2.31); however:
  Package libc6 is not installed.
axolotl depends on libgcc-s1-arm64-cross (>= 4.2); however:
  Package libgcc-s1-arm64-cross is not installed.

I had some issues with updating the system (and the fix described here helped, I'm up to date. I somehow expected it would resolve this, but it didn't.
Being a Mint guy (nee Ubuntu), I'm not quite familiar with how these things are resolved in absence of apt... frankly, even with apt, I never had anything to do with anything lib*c*, there be dragons for me. Just tell me what to install so I can try the axolotl_1.5.0-1_arm64.deb again.

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - arno_nuehm - 09-05-2022

(09-05-2022, 11:00 AM)Eugo Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 07:10 AM)shulamy Wrote:

ezik

Here goes... I got this from dpkg, just like the first time:
Code:
Preparing to unpack axolotl_1.5.0-1_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking axolotl (1.5.0-1) ...

I had some issues with updating the system (and the fix described here helped, I'm up to date. I somehow expected it would resolve this, but it didn't.
Being a Mint guy (nee Ubuntu), I'm not quite familiar with how these things are resolved in absence of apt... frankly, even with apt, I never had anything to do with anything lib*c*, there be dragons for me. Just tell me what to install so I can try the axolotl_1.5.0-1_arm64.deb again.

Hello Eugo,

please use this command to download and install the latest deb file from the github source:

Code:
wget https://github.com/nanu-c/axolotl/releases/download/v1.5.0/axolotl_1.5.0-1_arm64.deb && sudo apt install ./axolotl_1.5.0-1_arm64.deb

Cheers!

And a little insight for those who are interested: The two dependencies libc6:arm64 and libgcc-s1-arm64-cross are caused by the automated cross-compiling/packaging workflow on github. I hope to get rid of them with one of the next versions by using a Debian arm64 docker container - automated cross-compiling is a mess...

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - Eugo - 09-06-2022

OK, let me know when that happens, because I'm still getting this

Code:
Unpacking axolotl (1.5.0-1) over (1.5.0-1) ...

But just for the heck of it I tried it as is and, well, it seems to work - I got as far as username. Will test it out during the day.

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - shulamy - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 12:33 AM)Eugo Wrote: OK, let me know when that happens, because I'm still getting this

Code:

But just for the heck of it I tried it as is and, well, it seems to work - I got as far as username. Will test it out during the day.

are we talking about mobian or manjaro ?

ezik

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - Eugo - 09-08-2022

(09-06-2022, 01:00 AM)shulamy Wrote:
(09-06-2022, 12:33 AM)Eugo Wrote: OK, let me know when that happens, because I'm still getting this

Code:

ezik

Manjaro Phosh.
Here's the progress so far:
- installed (with the above libc* errors), runs
- registered as the main device
- managed to add contact (daughter with signal on android phone and a w11 laptop)
- exchanged a few messages and sent a photo from the phone, which promptly appeared on both her clients
- tried to add my desktop Signal as a linked device, used the trick from page 6 here (megapixels, point to screen, scan the QR, copy the content), but when I paste the translated code (begins with sgnl:, checked that), and tap ADD, it returns to the previous page and nothing happens.

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - arno_nuehm - 09-11-2022

(09-08-2022, 05:24 AM)Eugo Wrote:
(09-06-2022, 01:00 AM)shulamy Wrote:

Code:

ezik

Manjaro Phosh.
- managed to add contact (daughter with signal on android phone and a w11 laptop)
- exchanged a few messages and sent a photo from the phone, which promptly appeared on both her clients
- tried to add my desktop Signal as a linked device, used the trick from page 6 here (megapixels, point to screen, scan the QR, copy the content), but when I paste the translated code (begins with sgnl:, checked that), and tap ADD, it returns to the previous page and nothing happens.

Thanks for clarification and posting your progress! Signal is (again) changing a lot in their server backbone environment and that might interfere with linking Signal Desktop... I'll keep you posted about that issue.
Cheers!

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - Eugo - 09-12-2022

(09-11-2022, 05:35 PM)arno_nuehm Wrote:
(09-08-2022, 05:24 AM)Eugo Wrote: Manjaro Phosh.

Thanks for clarification and posting your progress! Signal is (again) changing a lot in their server backbone environment and that might interfere with linking Signal Desktop... I'll keep you posted about that issue.
Cheers!

Thanks for all the hard work. As a retired programmer I deeply understand what you have to deal with, I've had several cases of such hooking into third party API or schemas, where they'd change something and I'd get the specs very late and not from them, but third hand.

My goal is to have a chat (and hopefully video) app for our family chats (generally across three timezones) which would just work, so to get away from skype, which was much better fourteen years ago than it is now. That's about the last thing from m$ that we use, and we want to get rid of that too.

To add to the progress report
- still can't add the third daughter
- additional message to 2nd daughter show up as not delivered and she doesn't get them; likewise in the other direction, except her Signal (on w11) says nothing on their status
- even though I did initially get some messages through to her, she's still not on my contacts list, the list is empty. I am on her contacts list but she (also a programmer) guesses that it's because I'm among contacts on her phone, so my number was recognized

For a moment I thought I got a newer version or something, seeing how the desktop icon had changed... forgot that this is linux, you just don't get newer versions shoved on you from above. I guess I was messing with gui settings and picked a different set of icons.

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - arno_nuehm - 10-17-2022

Hello there,

it seems, Signal changed its backbone system again: Receiving messages with Axolotl is currently not possible.

nanu-c and blackoverflow are already working on the next version...

EDIT: This time, it may be a Signal hick-up, because some messages do come through.