PINE64
Got Vivaldi Working on Arch! - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PineTab (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=140)
+--- Forum: PineTab Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+--- Thread: Got Vivaldi Working on Arch! (/showthread.php?tid=11420)

Got Vivaldi Working on Arch! - wd5gnr - 09-12-2020

I got Vivaldi to run under Arch, and probably the same trick would work for Chrome (which is under Vivaldi).

1. In the AUR there is a 64-bit Arm Vivaldi snapshot Download it
2. Unpack the archive and do an install like you would anything else from AUR
3. There were 2 or 3 things I had to add using pacman (in fact, I had to add fakeroot to get the packaging to work). Everything was there, just pacman -S xxxx
4. Do the install.

Now you will have a problem. Vivaldi is there but won't run. Here's why. GDK_BACKEND is set to wayland. It needs to be set to x11. You can edit the launcher or the Vivaldi script or from CLI:

GDK_BACKEND=x11 vivaldi-stable

Seems to mostly work. The interface is a bit clipped. Setting it to native window (restart required) helped I think. Moving the address bar to the bottom helped a lot.

Woo hoo!

Update: ALT+F10 maximizes the window which cleans up most of the issues.

RE: Got Vivaldi Working on Arch! - robgriff444 - 09-13-2020

It's in manjaros aur as an arm build too, works perfectly

RE: Got Vivaldi Working on Arch! - wd5gnr - 09-13-2020

A few notes. GDK_BACKEND is also the key to get emacs to run in the GUI.

binutils should be installed before the buildpkg step, but if you don't you just get a warning.

If you find the desktop files in /usr/share you can change

Exec=xxxx
to

Exec=env GDK_BACKEND=x11 xxxx

To make a shortcut like Vivaldi or emacs run properly.

RE: Got Vivaldi Working on Arch! - hanscees - 11-09-2020

(09-12-2020, 09:09 PM)wd5gnr Wrote: I got Vivaldi to run under Arch, and probably the same trick would work for Chrome (which is under Vivaldi).

1. In the AUR there is a 64-bit Arm Vivaldi snapshot Download it
2. Unpack the archive and do an install like you would anything else from AUR
3. There were 2 or 3 things I had to add using pacman (in fact, I had to add fakeroot to get the packaging to work). Everything was there, just pacman -S xxxx
4. Do the install.

Now you will have a problem. Vivaldi is there but won't run. Here's why. GDK_BACKEND is set to wayland. It needs to be set to x11. You can edit the launcher or the Vivaldi script or from CLI:

GDK_BACKEND=x11 vivaldi-stable

Seems to mostly work. The interface is a bit clipped. Setting it to native window (restart required) helped I think. Moving the address bar to the bottom helped a lot.

Woo hoo!

Update: ALT+F10 maximizes the window which cleans up most of the issues.
hi,

I am currently running arch from the SD card still but all browsers are extremely sluggish: 
epiphany is the default and I notice it uses multiple cores (since in top it gets 140%)

Installed midori, which is slightly faster.

but all load pages in 5-10 seconds or slower. 

Is that just a system thing at the moment?