PINE64
No sms on 4g - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: No sms on 4g (/showthread.php?tid=11187)

No sms on 4g - Helium75 - 08-29-2020

Hi community,

I tested the latest mobian and I am honestly impressed. I would say it's the most useable os (at least for me) right now.

There is one issue that I discovered which is bugging me a bit : I can't send text messages on 4g . 2g works well ... any idea why or is there a fix available ?

Cheers
Helium

Edit: Fonic (D2 German) is my provider

RE: No sms on 4g - Helium75 - 09-04-2020

(08-29-2020, 08:20 AM)Helium75 Wrote: Hi community,

I tested the latest mobian and I am honestly impressed. I would say it's the most useable os (at least for me) right now.

There is one issue that I discovered which is bugging me a bit : I can't send text messages on 4g . 2g works well ... any idea why or is there a fix available ?

Cheers
Helium

Edit: Fonic (D2 German) is my provider

... all sorted with the nightly build 04 09 Smile) sms works flawless now. Anyone experienced the same ?

RE: No sms on 4g - LMalilil - 09-05-2020

I havent had incoming sms ability for about six updates now.

RE: No sms on 4g - Helium75 - 09-07-2020

(09-05-2020, 02:22 PM)LMalilil Wrote: I havent had incoming sms ability for about six updates now.

Same here again.

I am starting to wonder if it is a hardware related issue. I also tried Sailfish OS and it cant even see a SIM card. Sad
I will try the latest mobian build I check if it is any better.

edit:

tried it - still the same. No data connection on 4g, no sms. If I switch to 3g / 2g only, the modem dies and doesn't come back unless I reboot .... once rebooted it seems to work for a bit. SMS and mobile data work fine. Not 4G / LTE tho.

Any chance to debug it ? If so let me know how.

cheers
ND

RE: No sms on 4g - Helium75 - 09-15-2020

I still can't send an sms. I am wondering if this issue is hardware related (PP BH).

After playing around with mmcli and some modem setting I found out that the own number shown as own number was actually not the phone number of the sim card.
That's odd isn't it ?

When ever I try a

mmcli -s X --send

I get a time out. It there a proper way to debug the ModemManager / the modem ?

RE: No sms on 4g - jjs - 09-16-2020

all of a sudden about a month ago my SMS stopped working. I am able to send, but not receive. I've tried all the tricks of clearing out old messages in the modem and nothing seems to work. I tried posting in the matrix channel too and haven't gotten anywhere. So if anyone has any ideas let me know. Maybe its time to give PostMarketOS a shot.

Update: I completely re-installed the OS and still ahve the same issue. So I'm wondering if there is something in Chatty or ModemManager that changed and is causing the problem. Does anyone here use Verizon Wireless in the USA that can receive SMS messages?

RE: No sms on 4g - HLing - 09-17-2020

(09-16-2020, 02:02 PM)jjs Wrote: all of a sudden about a month ago my SMS stopped working. I am able to send, but not receive. I've tried all the tricks of clearing out old messages in the modem and nothing seems to work. I tried posting in the matrix channel too and haven't gotten anywhere. So if anyone has any ideas let me know. Maybe its time to give PostMarketOS a shot.

Update: I completely re-installed the OS and still ahve the same issue. So I'm wondering if there is something in Chatty or ModemManager that changed and is causing the problem. Does anyone here use Verizon Wireless in the USA that can receive SMS messages?
 ON T-mobil in the U.S. I have had some problems with SMS. It turned out that other T-mobile (non pine phone people) were having problems with receiving their texts.  They were able to send, but not receive. So on that end I called T-mobile a couple of times. It was difficult explaining Pine Phone to them, but I also knew other Android phone owners were having problems. So, the work was on T-mobile.

I have had my sms working since although not always sure when something that didn't go out will get sent out eventually, or if it would just get dropped.  so i would continuously do self test, sending myself texts. my last update, 9-15  I actually got a message, in purple, that said the message did not get sent out.  Progress!  But, all that I had typed had disappeared. so, now I try to copy my sms before sending in case it gets that purple message again.

Hope yours work out.

*my PP is the un modified UBPort CE. I usually have 4G signal showing, but the preference is for 2G, 3G, 4G, as recommended. Mobile Data is great. No MMS, though that seems to be the same issue for many a phones these days.

RE: No sms on 4g - Helium75 - 09-18-2020

... the carrier or provider seems not to be a problem over here (in Germany). I use the same provider on 2 phones (one golden cage and the pp). SMS on the gc works fine , I never had any issues.

I am pretty sure it is hardware related since even sending sms with AT command result in a "Error 350" after about 30 seconds or so. I also tried different parameters with the same result. Does anyone know how to update the firmware (not the linux part of it) on the modem ?

RE: No sms on 4g - mudflap - 06-06-2021

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/i-got-sms-working-pinephone-plasma-mobile-t-mobile/69303

I posted how I got sms working on my phone - Spacebar is broken...