PINE64
bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. (/showthread.php?tid=18880)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. - zetabeta - 09-16-2024

(09-16-2024, 04:27 AM)anonymous Wrote: Someone who uses a Pinephone Pro daily told me a few days ago that he has been able to send and receive MMS flawlessly for months despite the use of multiple APNs. Is it possible with Trixie but on a Pinephone (i.e not a Pinephone Pro) too?

i somewhat recently tested mms messages, and they worked. however, there was a catch, it was related to apn addresses somehow, i don't remember specifics.

tested phones and os's:
pp pro with archlinux, danct.
pp reg with mobian trixie.

RE: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. - anonymous - 09-19-2024

(09-16-2024, 04:57 AM)zetabeta Wrote:
(09-16-2024, 04:27 AM)anonymous Wrote: Someone who uses a Pinephone Pro daily told me a few days ago that he has been able to send and receive MMS flawlessly for months despite the use of multiple APNs. Is it possible with Trixie but on a Pinephone (i.e not a Pinephone Pro) too?

i somewhat recently tested mms messages, and they worked. however, there was a catch, it was related to apn addresses somehow, i don't remember specifics.

tested phones and os's:
pp pro with archlinux, danct.
pp reg with mobian trixie.

Does your mobile operator use 2 distinct Access Point Names for the Internet and MMS?

By the way, I still get freezes and crashes when playing music even in command line with "play".

RE: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. - zetabeta - 09-19-2024

(09-19-2024, 05:10 AM)anonymous Wrote: Does your mobile operator use 2 distinct Access Point Names for the Internet and MMS?

yes, and maybe the catch was that you use mms settings' apn into internet connection's apn. of course, this will disable internet.

(09-19-2024, 05:10 AM)anonymous Wrote: By the way, I still get freezes and crashes when playing music even in command line with "play".

it sounds like something is messed up in a sound system. mobian uses wireplumber, but that could be messed up.

following command lists available audio interfaces, some work better than others. i don't know what "play" uses as a default.

Code:
mpv --ao=help

RE: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. - anonymous - 09-19-2024

Actually, I can receive MMS by choosing the MMS APN.

The "mpv" command isn't found Confused The same music file occasionally hangs, I haven't found the culprit.

RE: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. - zetabeta - 09-20-2024

(09-19-2024, 02:43 PM)anonymous Wrote: The "mpv" command isn't found Confused The same music file occasionally hangs, I haven't found the culprit.

mpv needs to be installed first. maybe in gui, aptitude or apt-get. update system before.

Code:
# install something in mobian
sudo apt-get install mpv

keep in mind that mpv does not fix the issue, you just have some options to troubleshoot slightly better.

RE: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. - anonymous - 09-24-2024

(09-20-2024, 12:04 AM)zetabeta Wrote:
(09-19-2024, 02:43 PM)anonymous Wrote: The "mpv" command isn't found Confused The same music file occasionally hangs, I haven't found the culprit.

mpv needs to be installed first. maybe in gui, aptitude or apt-get. update system before.

Code:
sudo apt-get install mpv

keep in mind that mpv does not fix the issue, you just have some options to troubleshoot slightly better.

Now it prints the available audio outputs, i.e pipewire, pulse, alsa, jack, sdl, null and pcm.

RE: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. - zetabeta - 09-25-2024

(09-24-2024, 08:04 AM)anonymous Wrote: Now it prints the available audio outputs, i.e pipewire, pulse, alsa, jack, sdl, null and pcm.

now you could test different audio outputs for troubleshooting, does all of them jam or crash.

Code:
mpv -ao={something} file.some

practically it is only worth testing alsa, pipewire and pulse. pcm creates a file. null does nothing. i don't know directly what jack and sdl do, but probably gives an error.

RE: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. - user641 - 10-15-2024

I was using bookworm on my pinephone, try upgrading to trixie and broke it. But then reinstalled the weekly image for trixie with installer. Can't tell how magical the progress has been, so much improvement on phosh, adaptive screen light now works good and beatiful new keyboard. Just one thign, where are the arrows whn using the terminal keyboard? I miss it.

RE: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. - zetabeta - 10-15-2024

(10-15-2024, 04:25 AM)user641 Wrote: I was using bookworm on my pinephone, try upgrading to trixie and broke it. But then reinstalled the weekly image for trixie with installer. Can't tell how magical the progress has been, so much improvement on phosh, adaptive screen light now works good and beatiful new keyboard. Just one thign, where are the arrows whn using the terminal keyboard? I miss it.

in my view, new keyboard was horrible, and i needed to put sort of old squeekboard back. it needed some catches, because of dependencies of old packages.

RE: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. - anonymous - 10-15-2024

(09-20-2024, 12:04 AM)zetabeta Wrote:

Code:
sudo apt-get install mpv

It displayed "Audio device underrun detected" once. Does it help?